Subject: Question about requirements for timely delivery

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:25:19 +0100

Folks,

I would like to understand what sort of time interval is felt to be a 
reasonable when requesting timely delivery:

   (a) less than one second
   (b) 1-10 seconds
   (c) 10-60 seconds
   (d) over a minute

If (a), and maybe (b), then I am concerned that the timing resolution 
offered by RFC 2852 may not be fine enough.  RFC 2852 allows the deliver-by 
interval to be expressed as a whole number of seconds.  Given that the 
value must be recalculated by each relay I fear that accumulated errors may 
make intervals less than (say) 10 seconds difficult to achieve reliably, 
and certainly not intervals less than a second.

#g
------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])

---

From: "Gary Frerking (TurboPower)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:22:21 -0600

(c) seems reasonable to me, using normal POTS/PBX faxing as a point of
comparison. It's very possible to break over the 10 sec mark when a call is
working through the switches and so on -- particularly with international
calls.

The high end of the (c) range seems a bit high to me -- if there was a "(c1)
10 - 30 seconds" choice, I would pick that.

-- Gary Frerking
-- TurboPower Software Co.
-- [email-masked]