Subject: IETF-FAX WG Last Call on Addressing I-Ds

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:36:16 +0900 (JST)

Folks, 

This is a Working Group Last Call notice for the following two documents.

1 draft-ietf-fax-minaddr-v2-02.txt (update of RFC 2303)
- Minimal GSTN address format in Internet Mail -

For your information, the following is the technical summary
when requesting to IESG.

   This memo describes a simple method of encoding GSTN addresses
   (commonly called "telephone numbers") in the local-part of Internet
   email addresses, along with an extension mechanism to allow encoding
   of additional standard attributes needed for email gateways to
   GSTN-based services. The method used is of general use for various
   application services where GSTN addresses and e-mail addresses are
   involved, like FAX and Voice Mail. The standard encoding method allows
   an easy interoperability of onramp/offramp gateways connecting e-mail
   service to other messaging systems using GSTN addresses. Currently
   the generic encoding method is being deployed inside Internet FAX 
   compliant applications, which proved to interoperate correctly, but
   also global messaging application services are adopting it. The document
   also provides the needed documentation, procedures and templates for
   a correct registration c/o IANA of the extensions which can be defined.

2 draft-ietf-fax-faxaddr-v2-02.txt (update of RFC 2304)
- Minimal FAX address format in Internet Mail -

For your information, the following is the technical summary
when requesting to IESG.

   This memo describes a simple method of encoding GSTN addresses of
   facsimile devices in the local-part of Internet email addresses.
   It is an application of draft-ietf-fax-minaddr-v2-02.txt for the
   specific internet fax service. It also defines one qualifier needed
   to support correclty ITU T.33 subaddresses inside internet fax e-mail
   addresses. The specification has been implemented indipendently inside
   internet fax products and the tests proved correct interoperability.
   It also includes the IANA registration of the T33S qualifier.

.......

At Pittsburgh meeting, we reviewed them. We agreed there are no problems
for Draft Standard consideration. Also, the formal interworking report
is already circulated. For your information, it is attached to this mail.

Therefore, we can do a Working Group Last Call for the above documents.

After WG Last Call, they will be submitted to IESG with the interworking
report for Draft Standard consideration.

The WG Last Call period is 2 weeks. It will close on Oct 2.   
If you have any comments, please circulate them to our ML by Oct 2.

Regards,   
--
Hiroshi Tamura
IETF FAX WG co-chair