Subject: Implementation Report of RFC2304 Interworking test

From: "Toyoda, Kiyoshi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 12:07:39 +0900

Allocchio-san and Tamura-san

Hiroshi Tamura wrote in the draft minutes of FAX WG at Pittsburgh
>It was confirmed that "formal" report is necessary for request of
>Draft Standard consideration.

I made the draft of report about RFC2304 interworing test
according to the format of "Implementation Reports" published 
on the IETF WEB site. Please find attaced text below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

RFC2304 IMPLEMENTATION REPORT

This report describes the implementation and interoperability testing
of RFC2304 "Minimal FAX address format in Internet Mail". The test was 
held on the 28th June 2000 in Japan.

The following independently implemented and jointly tested RFC2304.

  Matsushita Graphic Communication Systems Inc.
  TOYOCOM Inc.

This report is organized in 2 sections. Section 1 describes the method and 
results of RFC2304 interoperability testing. Section 2 describes the 
independent RFC2304 implementations, by implementor. 

RFC2304 is the application of RFC2303 generic specification to FAX addresses.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
SECTION 1: RFC2304 INTEROPERABILITY TESTING
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Testing Method

1-1.  TOYOCOM sends the data to Internet Fax (IFAX) of M.G.C.S. (figure 1) . 

  ---------           ------------         ----------        ------
 | Gateway |         |   IFAX     |       |Onramp GW |      |      |
 | TOYOCOM | ------->|  M.G.C.S.  |------>| DX-2000  |----->| PC   |
 |_________| Internet|____________| PSTN  |__________| LAN  |______|

                           figure 1

1)OnRamp Gateway of TOYOCOM sends the data with the following address formula. 

    FAX=[email-masked]

    FAX=+81312345677/T33S=[email-masked]

    FAX=+81312345677/T33S=[email-masked]

    [email-masked]

    FAX=+81312345677/T33S=[email-masked]  and
    FAX=+81312345677/T33S=[email-masked]

    /FAX=+81-3-12345677/T33S=1234/@ifax.mgcs.mei.co.jp  and
    /FAX=+81.3.12345677/T33S=5678/@ifax.mgcs.mei.co.jp

2)IFax of M.G.C.S. sends the fax to DX-2000 with 
  the addresss 03-12345677 including sub-address 1234 and/or 5678. 

3)DX-2000(IFAX made by Panafax) sends e-mail to PC which has
  the corresponding e-mail address of the sub address.
  DX-2000 is used for verification method of sub address field in 
  FIF. 

1-2.  M.G.C.S. sends the data to the OffRamp Gateway of TOYOCOM (figure 2) .

  ---------           ------------         ----------        ------
 | IFAX    |         |  Gateway   |       |Onramp GW |      |      |
 | M.G.C.S | ------->|  TOYOCOM   |------>| DX-2000  |----->| PC   |
 |_________| Internet|____________| PSTN  |__________| LAN  |______|

                           figure 2

1)M.G.C.S. sends the data to the OffRamp Gateway of TOYOCOM (figure 2).

   FAX=[email-masked]

   FAX=+81312345677/T33S=[email-masked]
 
  etc.

2),3) repeat same procedure as article 2-1.

3. Results

We satisfied the items of "RFC2304 Interworking Configuration Matrix" 
which has deliverd to Fax Connect II. (http://www.imc.org/imc-faxconnect/)
The items are below.

1) Minimum Specification (MUST)
All implementations supporting this FAX over e-mail address format MUST
supports as a minimum the specification described in this document(RFC 
2304)

2) qualif-type1 element  (REQUIRED)
The minimal addressing for the fax service also requires support for
a "qualif-type1" elment. This element is an OPTIONAL element of the 
fax address, but its support, when present, is REQUIRED.

3) Fax address minimum specification  (REQUIRED)
The minimal specification of a fax in e-mail address is:
fax-address = fax-mbox["T33S="sub-addr]
fax-mbox = "FAX="global-phone

4) Multiple T.33 Subaddresses  (MUST)
In case a particular service requires multiple T.33 subaddresses,
and these subaddresses need to be given on the same "fax-mbox",
multiple "fax-email" elements will be used.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
SECTION 2: RFC2304 IMPLEMENTATIONS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Name of implementation: MGCS Internet Fax
Organization:           Matsushita Graphic Communication Systems Inc.
Platforms:              original appliance
Location of code:       proprietary to MGCS Inc.
Contact:                Kiyoshi Toyoda <[email-masked]>
Implemented Features:   Full features of RFC2304

Name of implementation: TOYOCOM OnRamp and OffRamp Gateway
Organization:           TOYOCOM Inc.
Platforms:              Windows NT  Server ver.4.0
Location of code:       proprietary to TOYOCOM Inc.
Contact:                Katsuhiko Mimura <[email-masked]>
Implemented Features:   Full features of RFC2304

Kiyoshi Toyoda