Subject: [IETF-FAX] Request for IESG Consideration on Address I-Ds

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:25:21 +0900 (JST)

Dear Ned,
Dear Patrik,
Dear IETF secretary,

I am Hiroshi Tamura, a co-chair of IETF FAX WG.

The Internet Fax Working Group requests IESG approval for publication of 
the following two documents, with the specified status. 

....................................................................

- Document 1 :
Minimal GSTN address format in Internet Mail
 draft-ietf-fax-minaddr-v2-02.txt (update of RFC 2303)

Status: Draft Standard

 Technical Summary
   This memo describes a simple method of encoding GSTN addresses
   (commonly called "telephone numbers") in the local-part of Internet
   email addresses, along with an extension mechanism to allow encoding
   of additional standard attributes needed for email gateways to
   GSTN-based services. The method used is of general use for various
   application services where GSTN addresses and e-mail addresses are
   involved, like FAX and Voice Mail. The standard encoding method allows
   an easy interoperability of onramp/offramp gateways connecting e-mail
   service to other messaging systems using GSTN addresses. Currently
   the generic encoding method is being deployed inside Internet FAX 
   compliant applications, which proved to interoperate correctly, but
   also global messaging application services are adopting it. The document
   also provides the needed documentation, procedures and templates for
   a correct registration c/o IANA of the extensions which can be defined.

There are only editorial clarifications and correcetions from RFC 2303.
Also, during the WG Last Call period, there were no comments.
The related interworking report is attached to this mail. All the normative
references are Standard. Attached is also the reference report.

- Document 2 :
Minimal FAX address format in Internet Mail
 draft-ietf-fax-faxaddr-v2-02.txt (update of RFC 2304)

Status: Draft Standard

 Technical Summary
   This memo describes a simple method of encoding GSTN addresses of
   facsimile devices in the local-part of Internet email addresses.
   It is an application of draft-ietf-fax-minaddr-v2-02.txt for the
   specific internet fax service. It also defines one qualifier needed
   to support correclty ITU T.33 subaddresses inside internet fax e-mail
   addresses. The specification has been implemented independently inside
   internet fax products and the tests proved correct interoperability.
   It also includes the IANA registration of the T33S qualifier.

There are mainly clarification issues related to T.33 subaddress form RFC 2304.
Others are only editorial clarifications and correcetions.
Also, during the WG Last Call period, there were no comments.
The interworking report is attached to this mail. This I-Ds was already
modified for T.33 subaddress clarification by Pittsburgh meeting and 
editorially corrected by the Last Call. All the normative references
are Standard. Attached is also the reference report.

- Interworking report :
The summary is as follows.

   RFC2304 IMPLEMENTATION REPORT SUMMARY

   This report describes the implementation and interoperability testing
   of RFC2304 "Minimal FAX address format in Internet Mail". RFC2304 is
   the application of RFC2303 generic specification to FAX addresses.
   The test was held on the 28th June 2000 in Japan.  MGCS Inc. and
   TOYOCOM Inc. independently implemented and jointly tested RFC2304.
   They satisfied the items of "RFC2304 Interworking Configuration Matrix"
   which has deliverd to Fax Connect II. (http://www.imc.org/imc-faxconnect/).

.....................

Best Regards,
--
Hiroshi Tamura
IETF FAX WG co-chair