Subject: Internet Fax vs. Email with TIFF

From: Paul Schranz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 19:03:05 -0700

Dear IETF-FAX Working Group,

In a Unified Messaging (UM) scenario where fax is received into a UM
account, identified by a telephone number, how do I know that it is an
Internet Fax as opposed to a regular email with a TIFF file attachment?

The FROM field could give indication that it originated from a G3FAX
device, but this won't work if it orginated from an IFAX device.

Thanks,
Paul Schranz

---

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:53:15 +0100

Paul,

Internet fax is, by design, an e-mail with TIFF image content.  It is 
intended that it be maximally interoperable with regular e-mail.

I'm not sure why you want to distinguish between fax and e-mail-with-TIFF, 
but the VPIM working group are considering a specification for a 
'message-hint' indicator that might be used for 
this:  <draft-ietf-vpim-hint-00.txt>.

#g
--

>device, but this won't work if it orginated from an IFAX device.

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])