Subject: Terminal Mode in IETF San Diego meeting

From: MAEDA toru <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:25:47 +0900

Greetings, All,

I explained about Terminal Mode in IETF San Diego meeting,
but time was too short to do.  I attached the slides on which
I tried to explain about Terminal Mode.

We have to reply about ITU-T Request by next ITU-T meeting on
June 2001.  We can discuss about the addition of Terminal Mode
into the charter at the next IETF meeting.  I will prepare the
Internet Draft for the addition of Terminal Mode in the charter.

So, let's enjoy our Holiday Season.

Toru Maeda
CANON Inc.

Slides about Terminal Mode:

[ITU-T Communication]
- ITU-T wants to have a comment on  D46 Proposal of T.37 Terminal
Mode attached on the communication.
- ITU-T is looking forward to have additional corroboration between
IETF and ITU-T to standardize Internet Fax Terminal Mode.

[Requirements of Terminal Mode]
- T.37 Terminal Mode which supports the transfer of image data,
capabilities exchange and confirmation for Store and Forward
internet fax terminals having limited memory and small CPU power.
- The Terminal Mode extends Internet fax capabilities to enable
all features of Group 3 facsimile to be supported on the Internet
using T.30 signals in capability exchange.
- The mode will be implemented on G3FAX based Internet Fax terminals
which communicate using G3 mode in PSTN and Terminal Mode in Internet.
- The terminal may have gateway functions between G3Fax and Internet
Fax Terminal Mode.
- The one of the objectives of Terminal Mode is a simple protocol for
ROM oriented fax devices not for PC based E-mail client.
- The Terminal Mode may not be able to communicate to Simple Mode and
Full Mode directory.

[T.37 Terminal Mode (1)]
- T.37 Terminal Mode which supports the transfer of image data,
capabilities exchange and confirmation for Store and Forward internet
fax terminals having limited memory and small CPU power, was proposed in
ITU-T SG.8 Q.4 Rapportures meeting on June 2000.
- The Terminal Mode extents Internet fax capabilities to enable all
features of Group 3 facsimile to be supported on the Internet using
T.30 signals in capability exchange.

[T.37 Terminal Mode (2)]
(1) Confirmation
Mandatory MDN response, notification of success/failure of document
processing and page by page status.

(2) Capabilities exchange
- Support capabilities expression to enable G3FAX features using T.30 signals
- enable all features of Group 3 facsimile on the Internet.
- Easy implementation for embedded fax terminal based on G3FAX system.

[Request]
(1) Is it able to add Terminal Mode in the charter of Fax WG for
technical discussion in IETF?

(2) If the charter will not be able  amended to discuss Terminal
Mode in the Fax WG, IETF is requested to provide reasons for their
decisions with required to whether proceed or not proceed the Terminal
Mode in IETF.

*****************************
Toru MAEDA
CANON Inc. OIP Technology Adv. 3
*****************************