Subject: Re: [forces] AD review issue 5: on FIB model structure description

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 08:34:51 -0500

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 12:47 AM, Wang,Weiming <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Whereas, this document is agnostic to the implementation model
>    and can be applied across all implementations with recognition
 >that the functional elements described
>    in the LFBs might be realised in a different way in an
>implementation, but that the functions performed will be identical.

Suggestion:
"This document describes a functional LFB models which are modular.
There may be multiple
ways to implement the described models,  it is not intended that the
provided LFB
models constrain implementations."

cheers,
jamal

---

From: "Wang,Weiming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 13:59:09 +0800

With Jamal's incorparated, the whole paragraph looks like this: 
-------
An IP unicast forwarding job is usually realized by looking up the forwarding information table to find next hop information, and then based on the next hop information, forwarding packets to specific physical output ports.  It usually takes two steps to do so, firstly to look up a forwarding information table by means of Longest Prefix Matching(LPM) rule to find a next hop index, then to use the index as a search key to look up a next hop information table to find enough information to submit packets to output ports.  This document abstracts the forwarding processes based on the two steps model. Whereas, this document describes functional LFB models which are modular, and there may be multiple ways to implement the modular models. It is not intended that the provided LFB models constrain implementations.
---------

If there is no more comments, I'l close this issue.

thanks,
Weiming

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jamal Hadi Salim" <[email-masked]>

> _______________________________________________
> forces mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/forces
>

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 06:39:21 -0500

More suggestion to even simplify this further and improve readability:
"The two fundamental tasks performed in IP unicast forwarding
constitute looking up the
forwarding information table to find next hop information, and then
using the resulting next hop
details to forward packets out on specific physical output ports.
This document models the
forwarding processes by abstracting out the described two steps.
Whereas this document describes functional LFB models which are
modular, there may be
multiple ways to implement the abstracted models. It is not intended
nor expected that the provided
LFB models constrain implementations."

cheers,
jamal

---

From: "Wang,Weiming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 20:28:29 +0800

Adopted.

thanks,
Weiming

----- Original Message ----- 

cheers,
jamal