Subject: [forces] InterFE Packet metadata

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:19:15 -0500

While discussing a related topic with someone else, I wondered about 
something.  In the redirect TLV (and presumably also in the inter-FE 
packet transfer) we say taht the metadata indicates what kind of packet 
is being transferred.
But I don't think we ever actually defined the packet-type metadatum. 
We have packet types in the dataplane flow, but that is not a piece of 
metadata.
have I forgotten something obvios, or do we have a gap?  (We can easily 
fix it in the lfb-library if we have a gap.)

Yours,
Joel

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 13:22:17 -0500

We have a REDIRECT-DATA TLV (0x116) which is for the packet data.
The METADATA TLV (0x115) carries the metadata.

cheers,
jamal

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Joel M. Halpern <[email-masked]> wrote:
> something.  In the redirect TLV (and presumably also in the inter-FE packet
> transfer) we say taht the metadata indicates what kind of packet is being
> transferred.
> But I don't think we ever actually defined the packet-type metadatum. We
> have packet types in the dataplane flow, but that is not a piece of
> metadata.
> have I forgotten something obvios, or do we have a gap?  (We can easily fix
> it in the lfb-library if we have a gap.)
>
> Yours,
> Joel
> _______________________________________________
> forces mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/forces

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:09:19 -0500

Ok, I finally got what Joel was alluding to.
We _cant_ tell the content by looking at the REDIRECT-DATA TLV.
The assumption is the receiver knows what the data is. Strangely enough,
we havent run into any issues in our implementation - I suppose because
we only have one source of redirected data and we know what it is at the
receiver.
We should be able to define a metadata type which specifies this.
Not sure if lfblib would be the right place to do this.

cheers,
jamal