Subject: [forces] Comment: draft-haleplidis-forces-model-extension-01

From: Dave Hood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 16:15:51 +0000

The abstract and intro say that there are new extensions, but do not give us a clue what they are. Brevity is good, but it is also helpful to know from the beginning what the remainder of a document contains.

Present text (introduction):

The ForCES Model [RFC5812] presents a formal way to define FEs
Logical Function Blocks (LFBs) using XML. [RFC5812] has been
published a litlte more than two years and current experience in its
use has shown some room for adding new and changing existing modeling
concepts.
This document extends the ForCES Model by changing and adding new
concepts. These extensions do not require any changes on the ForCES
protocol [RFC5810] as they are simply changes of the schema
definition. Additionally backward compatibility is ensured as xml
libraries produced with the earlier schema are still valid with the
new one.

Proposed text:

The ForCES Model [RFC5812] presents a formal way to define FEs
Logical Function Blocks (LFBs) using XML. [RFC5812] was
published a little more than two years ago. Current experience in its
use has shown some room for adding new and changing existing modeling
concepts.
This document extends the ForCES Model by a) allowing complex metadata and b) allowing optional default values for datatypes. These extensions do not require any changes on the ForCES protocol [RFC5810] as they are simply changes of the schema definition. XML validation is also enhanced. Backward compatibility is ensured, as xml libraries produced with the earlier schema remain valid.

The abstract could be updated similarly.
Dave