Subject: [forces] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on charter-ietf-forces-03-06: (with COMMENT)

From: "Stephen Farrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 10:57:22 -0700

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-forces-03-06: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Two questions about this. ForCES security is currently dependent 
on SCTP/IPsec (RFC5811).

I would love to know if that gets used and if folks are happy with
it. (To the extent they're ever happy with security gank:-) If they
are then great. If not, then perhaps more work is needed?

Also, I wondered if this re-charter might mean that the ForCES
protocol will in future be more likely to be used in situations 
where security is more likely to be needed, but I couldn't figure
that out from the charter. Is that the case?

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 17:49:47 -0400

> are then great. If not, then perhaps more work is needed?

Not used as much I am afraid.
We definetely had interops working with IPSec; and i have seen
at least one spot where it was used in a deployment.

> that out from the charter. Is that the case?
Indeed this would be the case. The original intent for ForCES was
a single "box" deployed by a vendor/operator. Evolution is driving us
towards multiple users possibly still within the same vendor/operator.

IPSec could be painful from an admin perspective.
When the documents were being published TLS/SCTP was still
pre-publication so it was not considered a candidate. There was a
proposal to use it recently (which i put forward) but was cut out of
the final list since we are trying to focus on a short-term charter.

cheers,
jamal

>
> _______________________________________________
> forces mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/forces
>