Subject: [forces] Last Call: <draft-ietf-forces-model-extension-03.txt> (ForCES Model Extension) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 07:44:21 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Forwarding and Control Element
Separation WG (forces) to consider the following document:
- 'ForCES Model Extension'
  <draft-ietf-forces-model-extension-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-08-09. This last call period is longer 
than usual to allow for overlap with IETF-90. Exceptionally, comments 
may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Forwarding and Control Element Separation (ForCES) defines an
   architectural framework and associated protocols to standardize
   information exchange between the control plane and the forwarding
   plane in a ForCES Network Element (ForCES NE).  RFC5812 has defined
   the ForCES Model that provides a formal way to represent the
   capabilities, state, and configuration of forwarding elements within
   the context of the ForCES protocol, so that control elements (CEs)
   can control the FEs accordingly.  More specifically, the model
   describes the logical functions that are present in a forwarding
   element (FE), what capabilities these functions support, and how
   these functions are or can be interconnected.

   RFC5812 has been around for two years and experience in its use has
   shown room for small extensions without a need to alter the protocol
   while retaining backward compatibility with older xml libraries.
   This document update RFC5812 and extends the model to allow complex
   datatypes for metadata, optional default values for datatypes,
   optional access types for structures and fixes an issue with LFB
   inheritance.  The document also introduces two new features a new
   event condition BecomesEqualTo and LFB properties.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-forces-model-extension/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-forces-model-extension/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.