Subject: Ftp-WG: FTP over SSL

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:59:15 -0500

> Well, the draft is silent on this issue (to be honest I hadn't even
> thought about it). 
> 
> Jeffrey is correct, however I'm not sure what the implication of the
> server getting a killed data connection without a close_notify alert
> actually is, and what it can do about it other than carry on regardless. 

A failure to perform an SSL shutdown will result in an SSL error
occuring.  At which point the peer receiving the error should shutdown
the SSL stack and close the connection.

> Does the draft need to explicitly state behaviour in such cases ?  I am
> happy to think about it and add it, but I'm not sure exactly what we
> would gain.

I do not remember specifying the shutdown behavior in other TLS
secured protocols.

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 Beta available
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Secure Telnet and FTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             using Kerberos, SRP, and 
 [email-masked]          OpenSSL.  SSH soon to follow.

---

From: Paul Ford-Hutchinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 09:51:14 -0500

> the SSL stack and close the connection.

Which connection ?  If the error occurs on the data connections are you
suggesting that the control connection should be terminated ?  If so,
I'm not sure I agree, if not then I don't think there is any value in
specifying anything in the draft.

I do agree that it might be nice to point out that TLS requires this
behaviour and implementations could be considered broken if they don't
send close_notifys.

cheers,
Paul