Subject: Ftp-WG: FTPS using a Web browser

From: leclercq <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:34:39 -0500

Internet Explorer as Nestcape Navigator are able to list, send and receive files using the FTP  protocol.
Although, these internet browsers support TLS for HTTP connections, they don't seem to support FTPS.

Does anybody know if a Web Browser supporting FTPS exist or is in development ?

Thanks

Antoine Leclercq

---

From: Alun Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:45:37 -0500

>Does anybody know if a Web Browser supporting FTPS exist or is in 

I've yet to see a web browser that supports FTP over TLS - and the name 
"FTPS" hasn't yet been applied to any particular FTP security 
implementation.  Granted, if anything is going to be called "FTPS", then it 
should be the "FTP over TLS" specification currently in internet-draft 
form.  However, it is also worth noting that a specification for "ftps" 
URIs should be drafted by the appropriate bodies, and described adequately 
for future implementors - for instance, in "ftps", should the data transfer 
as well as the initial command connection be encrypted?  [Almost certainly, 
yes]  Calling it "ftps" and leaving it up to others to implement is liable 
to cause the problem that browser implementors, already woefully inadequate 
in their FTP implementations, may choose to implement the deprecated 
"implicit SSL connection" syntax, rather than using the more appropriate 
"AUTH" commands.

Alun.
~~~~

--
Texas Imperial Software   | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find us at
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | http://www.wftpd.com or email [email-masked]
Cedar Park TX 78613-1419  | VISA/MC accepted.  NT-based sites, be sure to
Fax/Voice +1(512)258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for NT.