Subject: Ftp-WG: Proposed changes to MLST -15 (will be -16)

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 05:25:21 -0500

For the two changes requested that seem entirely reasonable to
make, these are the two paragraphs I propose inserting into the
draft.

First, on times, and MDTM and restarts, in section 3 (MDTM), between what
are currently the 2nd & 3rd paragraphs, I currently have added...

   Because the User and server FTPs' clocks are not necessarily
   synchronised, User FTPs intending to use this method should usually
   obtain the modification time of the file from the server before the
   initial RETRieval, and compare that with the modification time before
   a RESTart.  If they differ, the files may have changed, and RESTart
   would be inadvisable.  Where this is not possible, the User FTP
   should make sure to allow for possible clock skew when comparing
   times.

And then, in section 11 (Security considerations) again between the old
2nd & 3rd paragraphs of draft-15, I have ...

   Server FTP should take care not to reveal sensitive information about
   files to unauthorised parties.  In particular, some underlying
   filesystems provide a file identifier which, if known, can allow many
   of the filesystem protection mechanisms to be by-passed.  That
   identifier would not be a suitable choice to use as the basis of the
   value of the unique fact.

Before my draft draft becomes a real draft, are there any objections to
either of those being inserted, or any suggestions for improved wording?

Does anyone really believe that we need to say something about NVT
processing in section 7?

If there no objections, I'll send this draft to the I-D directories
just before the IETF ends on Friday (if I manage to fit it in), otherwise
on Monday (it won't get processed till the secretariat staff return from
Japan anyway, I assume).

kre