Subject: [ftpext] draft-bryan-ftp-range-01 - reset

From: Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:11:01 +0900

Hi,

draft-bryan-ftp-range-01 changed the way to reset the range command
previously issued.

4.  The RANGe Command (RANG)

  To reset the range command, "RANG 1 0" should be issued.  Invalid
   RANG requests where 'start-point' is larger than 'end-point'
   automatically reset the byte selection to the default, which is the
   whole file.

But currently, it states that server should respond with a 5yz reply
with "RANG 1 0".

4.3.  RANG Command Errors
   ...
   The server-PI SHOULD reply with a 5yz reply if the specified end
   point is larger than the actual file or the end point is before the
   start point.

I think "RANG 1 0" is a recommended way of reseting range, I think server must
reply with 200 reply. So I propose to add following sentence to the
above paragraph:

   But the server-PI MUST reply with a 200 reply if "RANG 1 0" is issued
   by client-PI because it is a valid way of reseting range.

Best regards,

Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa

---

From: Anthony Bryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:54:43 -0500

>   by client-PI because it is a valid way of reseting range.

yes sir, good catch. I added the text:

   The server-PI MUST reply with a 350 reply if "RANG 1 0"
   is issued by client-PI because it is a valid way of resetting range.
   (The range would also be reset if the session is reinitialized with
   REIN but this terminates the user and resets all parameters).

and also a short section

5.  RANG Command Use with Other Commands

   This specification defines the use of RANG in a certain way.  Other
   commands could decide to use RANG in a similar way, to select a byte
   range, and their specification would define how they operate with
   RANG.  The HASH command [draft-ietf-ftpext2-hash] uses RANG to select
   a byte range for partial file hashing.

-- 
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads