Subject: [Fud] Brief update

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 15:20:57 +0100

Hi all,

you may have seen that the IESG didn't appropriate the BOF for the
Chicago IETF meeting. However, I had received positive signals that
there is interesting in exploring the topic of firmware updates in the
IETF.

As a next step I will use the upcoming IETF meeting to schedule a BarBOF
with those interested in such an activity. I was thinking about some
evening during the week. Please use this Google poll to indicate your
interest and your preference:
http://doodle.com/poll/6df6cqwkhpcvfm8f

Furthermore, I am producing a specification-style write-up of our
firmware update solution and I hope to have it in a readable form by the
IETF meeting.

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 09:58:51 -0500

Hi, Hannes,

On Mar 13, 2017 09:21, "Hannes Tschofenig" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Hi all,

I would agree that you have people on the IESG who are interested (and,
although I can't speak for the IAB, I believe some IAB members who support
this as well).

If I were to characterize the discussion on the BOF coordination call, I'd
say that what we needed to see was more of the homework described in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5434, and especially things like:

   4) Have substantive mailing list discussion.  It is not enough for a
      handful of people to assert that they want a BOF; there needs to
      be broader community interest.  A public mailing list allows ADs
      (and others) to gauge how much interest there really is on a topic
      area, as well as gauge how well the problem statement has been
      scoped, etc.  At this phase of the BOF preparation, the emphasis
      should be on getting agreement on the problem statement;
      discussions about specific solutions tend to be distracting and
      unhelpful.

I don't think FUD is a candidate for TSV sponsorship, but I am interested
in encouraging this work as an IESG member. If it's helpful for people to
grab me for a side conversation in Chicago, please do.

Thanks,

Spencer

Ciao
Hannes

_______________________________________________
Fud mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/fud