Subject: [Gendispatch] BCP97bis

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 08:36:54 -0700

Colleagues,

I've got a draft that seeks to update BCP 97, which is the guidance around
how we handle normative downward references.  It's currently made up of
three separate RFCs and an erratum, so this will consolidate those into a
single document.  The main mission here, though, is to update the guidance
around normative references to external documents, especially those behind
paywalls.

The draft is being sponsored by Erik Kline and can be found in the
datatracker here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kucherawy-bcp97bis/

As GENDISPATCH is an important discussion venue for process changes, I
wanted to let this audience know of this work in progress and invite
feedback, but this isn't the place for discussion since the actual
"dispatch" question isn't on the table.  So if there is any feedback,
please bring it to my attention, or to Erik's, or start a thread on
[email-masked].  I imagine if there's no feedback or if people are generally
happy with it as-is, we can initiate Last Call before IETF 112 begins next
month.

Thanks,

-MSK, ART AD