Subject: [Hash] Proposed agenda for IETF 63 in Paris

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 08:27:38 -0700

We have asked for a one-hour slot for the BOF because there is not 
much to work out yet. I propose that the hour be spent as:

1) 30 minutes - charter agreement
2) 30 minutes - presentation(s) on truncation and salting proposals and issues

Because this is a BOF, not a working group, we need to be sure we 
have agreement on the charter before the IESG considers whether or 
not to really form the WG. We'll start with the last charter I posted 
(amended as Ben pointed out to make it less ASN.1esque) and see how 
the folks in the room feel.

Does this agenda make sense?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

_______________________________________________
Hash mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hash

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:16:41 -0400

>Does this agenda make sense?

Paul, Eric Rescorla and I would like a few minutes to discuss our new 
paper "Deploying a New Hash Algorithm".  A draft is available at 
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/new-hash.ps and
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/new-hash.pdf .  (Our apologies 
that it is not in I-D format -- it is aimed at the NIST 
Cryptographic Hash Workshop, which has different formatting 
requirements.

Here's the abstract:

	As a result of recent discoveries, the strength of hash
	functions such as MD5 and SHA-1 have been called into
	question.  Regardless of whether or not it is necessary to
	move away from those now, it is clear that it will be
	necessary to do so in the not-too-distant future.  This
	poses a number of challenges, especially for certificate-based
	protocols.  We analyze S/MIME, TLS, and IPsec.  All three
	require protocol or implementation changes.  We explain
	the necessary changes, show how the conversion can be done,
	and list what measures should be taken immediately.

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:38:12 -0700

At 8:16 PM -0400 7/15/05, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>paper "Deploying a New Hash Algorithm".

Sounds good to me. Are there other suggestions for the Hash BOF agenda?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium