Subject: [Hipsec] Brief update of HIP activitities at Vienna

From: [email-masked] (Pekka Nikander)
Date: Fri Jul 25 02:31:02 2003

Henderson, Thomas R wrote:
> I would be grateful if someone summarized the HIP activities at
> Vienna and plans for next steps, and posted to the list.

The IETF in the large is waking up to the reality that
an identifier/locator separation of some kind is needed.
The problem was discussed in length at the IAB Open Meeting
on Monday, and mentioned at the IAB pleanary.

HIP was mentioned a few times publicly, by IAB/IESG members.
Not as *the* solution, but more like something that may
warrant a closer look.

Some IAB members contacted me and told that HIP had been
discussed internally at the IAB and IESG a few times.  They
asked whether it might be good to run yet another BOF or
maybe form a working group.  As a result of this, I wrote
a very specific charter proposal, and started discussions
with the INT ADs.  However, the ADs were too busy so that
no real conclusions were reached at Vienna.  However, the
discussions will continue.

Based on the what is going on, my best guess right now is
that there will be a BOF at Minneapolis.  The current idea
is to have a kind of demonstration BOF, first running demons
showing the current state-of-the art with HIP, i.e. mobility
between IPv4 and IPv6, hopefully some form of primitive
multi-homing, and IPv4-IPv6 application interoperability.
The demos would be followed by a chartering discussion.

The current idea for the possible WG is to have a very
restricted scope WG concentrating on finishing the current
HIP work on mobility, multi-homing, NAT traversal, and
DNS aspect, producing *experimental* RFCs only.  The base
spec should be closed (at the IESG) *before* the WG is
formed, and the WG charter would explicitly forbid touching
the space spec.  The reason for this is to make it sure that
the WG proceeds quickly and without too many political
battles.

The freeswan mailing list crashed once more, and this new
mailing list was formed.

I was too busy to much talk to the other implementors, and
hence I don't know what happened on the implementation front.
Maybe other's can fill in the details there.

--Pekka Nikander

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Moskowitz)
Date: Fri Jul 25 12:19:00 2003

>The demos would be followed by a chartering discussion.

We want to schedule this for 1st thing monday morning.  That is the ONLY 
time I can attend.  Then I have to dash to the airport to get to the IEEE 
802 plenary in San Antonio.  :(

---

From: [email-masked] (Pekka Nikander)
Date: Fri Jul 25 13:57:01 2003

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> that there will be a BOF at Minneapolis. ...
> 
> time I can attend.  Then I have to dash to the airport to get to the 
> IEEE 802 plenary in San Antonio.  :(

I'll try to keep this in mind.  However, feel free to bug me
if (when) I forget this anyway.

--Pekka