Subject: [Hipsec] HIP questions regarding TCP and HITs/LSIs

From: [email-masked] (Henderson, Thomas R)
Date: Wed Mar 17 13:34:01 2004

Stephen,
FYI, in case you haven't seen it, there was some discussion=20
on API issues at the last IETF--see=20
http://hip.piuha.net/meetings/ietf59/slides/

>=20
> Sorry, I meant that when an application uses the legacy API is used to
> connect from IP1 to IP2, later API calls may reveal the=20
> actual connection is
> between LSI1 and LSI2 or HIT1 and HIT2 instead of the specified IP
> addresses.
>=20
> I have a nagging feeling this can cause problems, but I can't=20
> put my finger
> on when it would happen.
>=20

In the case you describe, HIP basically changes the semantics of
the socket call from "socket bound to IP address IP1" to "socket bound=20
to the host who is located at IP1 when the socket call is made."  This=20
can cause potential confusion if applications are using IP addresses as=20
semi-permanent identifiers (e.g., referrals or call backs), so any use=20
of HIP with legacy API and legacy applications like that must consider=20
these implications.

Tom