Subject: [Hipsec] Bellovin-Rescorla analysis needed

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:18:35 -0800

Folks,

I am sitting in SAAG and it looks like that we need to do the  
Bellovin-Rescorla hash function analysis on HIP, before we submit it  
to the IESG.  Otherwise we will just get a Discuss from the security  
ADs.

I think we are fine with the actual hash function use, as we get the  
hash function from HITs, which get them from KHI, where the prefix  
defined the hash function.

However, we may have problems with HMAC, SIG and SIG2 parameters.  In  
theory, we are safe at least in the sense that we can assign new  
parameter values with different hash functions, but it might be some  
better way forward.

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/new-hash.pdf
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/talks/talk-newhash-nist.pdf

Any volunteers?

--Pekka

_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec

---

From: Petri Jokela <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:44:32 +0200

Pekka Nikander wrote:
> Bellovin-Rescorla hash function analysis on HIP, before we submit it  to
> the IESG.  Otherwise we will just get a Discuss from the security  ADs.
...
> Any volunteers?

How shall we proceed with this issue? Are there any people who can make
the analysis?

/petri