Subject: [Hipsec] Comment about Fig.6 in rfc5206-bis-01

From: Samu Varjonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:36:08 +0200

Hi,

The Fig. 6 in draft-ietf-hip-rfc5206-bis-01 could be clearer on the locator 
part. IMO the way RFC 5770 handles this would be better. See the proposal below.

       0                   1                   2                   3
       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |             Type              |            Length             |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      | Traffic Type  |  Loc Type = 0 | Locator Length|  Reserved   |P|
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                       Locator Lifetime                        |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                            Address                            |
      |                                                               |
      |                                                               |
      |                                                               |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      .                                                               .
      .                                                               .
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      | Traffic Type  |  Loc Type = 1 | Locator Length|  Reserved   |P|
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                       Locator Lifetime                        |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                              SPI                              |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                            Address                            |
      |                                                               |
      |                                                               |
      |                                                               |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    Type:  193

    Length:  Length in octets, excluding Type and Length fields, and
       excluding padding.

    Traffic Type:  Defines whether the locator pertains to HIP signaling,
       user data, or both.

    Locator Type:  Defines the semantics of the Locator field.

    Locator Length:  Defines the length of the Locator field, in units of
       4-byte words (Locators up to a maximum of 4*255 octets are
       supported).

    Reserved:  Zero when sent, ignored when received.

    P: Preferred locator.  Set to one if the locator is preferred for
       that Traffic Type; otherwise, set to zero.

    Locator Lifetime:  Locator lifetime, in seconds.

    SPI: Security Parameter Index (SPI) value that the host expects to see
       in incoming ESP packets that use this locator

    Address: IPv6 address or an "IPv4-Mapped IPv6 address" format IPv4
       address [RFC4291]

BR,
Samu

---

From: "Henderson, Thomas R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 19:46:53 -0800

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Samu Varjonen
> Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:36 AM
> To: HIP
> Subject: [Hipsec] Comment about Fig.6 in rfc5206-bis-01
> 
> Hi,
> 

Hi Samu, thanks for the suggestion; I agree and will put it in the next revision unless anyone raises a concern.

- Tom