Subject: [Hipsec] Last Call: <draft-ietf-hip-rfc4843-bis-05.txt> (An IPv6 Prefix for Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash Identifiers Version 2 (ORCHIDv2)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 09:04:26 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Host Identity Protocol WG (hip)
to consider the following document:
- 'An IPv6 Prefix for Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash Identifiers
   Version 2 (ORCHIDv2)'
  <draft-ietf-hip-rfc4843-bis-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-06-11. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document specifies an updated Overlay Routable Cryptographic
   Hash Identifiers format that obsoletes RFC4843.  These identifiers
   are intended to be used as endpoint identifiers at applications and
   Application Programming Interfaces (API) and not as identifiers for
   network location at the IP layer, i.e., locators.  They are designed
   to appear as application layer entities and at the existing IPv6
   APIs, but they should not appear in actual IPv6 headers.  To make
   them more like regular IPv6 addresses, they are expected to be
   routable at an overlay level.  Consequently, while they are
   considered non-routable addresses from the IPv6 layer point-of-view,
   all existing IPv6 applications are expected to be able to use them in
   a manner compatible with current IPv6 addresses.

   The Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash Identifiers originally
   defined in RFC4843 lacked a mechanism for cryptographic algorithm
   agility.  The updated ORCHID format specified in this document
   removes this limitation by encoding in the identifier itself an index
   to the suite of cryptographic algorithms in use.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hip-rfc4843-bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hip-rfc4843-bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.