Subject: [Hipsec] Looking for slides on Relay server

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 16:16:15 -0400

At times I would like to strangle myself.  WHY did I ever create private 
addresses for IPv4 and thus create a market for NAT boxes?????  Well if 
I have not been involved, it would have still happened.  The use cases 
were out there and ROAD was dead.  Enough handwringing.  We have Nasty 
NATs and mobile devices pop in and out of them.  So we have to relay.

But only the WiFi connection would get behind bad NATs.  My testing over 
Verizon Wireless has worked well without relaying.  So one MIGHT think 
that with LOCATORs we could say that this locator need not relay, but 
this better.  Of course the phones have this tendency to roam and 
perhaps not all cellular providers are set up not to need relaying....

Andrei's lecture notes do not cover the relay server part, only rvs and 
I3 stuff.  I am looking for some slides to cover relay.

thanks

---

From: Miika Komu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 23:36:39 +0300

Hi,

> I3 stuff.  I am looking for some slides to cover relay.

in HIPL project, we have been just using the Teredo infrastructure (with 
miredo software in Linux) to take care of the NAT penetration and HIP 
for its persistent namespace (as Teredo addresses can change).

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 16:48:50 -0400

On 05/22/2014 04:36 PM, Miika Komu wrote:
> in HIPL project, we have been just using the Teredo infrastructure 
> (with miredo software in Linux) to take care of the NAT penetration 
> and HIP for its persistent namespace (as Teredo addresses can change).

I was JUST thinking about that!!!

That is what I did in my demo some years back, running Miredo on one of 
my Centos boxes.

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 16:50:26 -0400

> and HIP for its persistent namespace (as Teredo addresses can change).

And when you do Teredo, you only need RVS, not Relay. Actually, the 
Relaying is done in Teredo.

My head hurts. But this means you are doing Teredo NAT traversal not HIP 
NAT traversal?

---

From: Miika Komu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 00:25:37 +0300

Hi,

> Relaying is done in Teredo.

You still need RVS for double jump.

> My head hurts. But this means you are doing Teredo NAT traversal not HIP

Currently, HIP for Linux supports just full relay. The bis-style NAT 
traversal extensions are not supported. We did implement RFC5770, but 
this was removed from the trunk, so you have to use Teredo if you don't 
like the full relay. Anyway, this is getting a bit implementation 
specific for this mailing list.

---

From: Ari Keränen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 19:18:32 +0300

Hi Bob,

> I3 stuff.  I am looking for some slides to cover relay.

Some of the old RFC5770 preso slides cover relaying too. For example:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/72/slides/hip-2.pdf

Cheers,
Ari