Subject: [Hipsec] I-D Action: draft-ietf-hip-rfc5201-bis-18.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:16:00 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Host Identity Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Host Identity Protocol Version 2 (HIPv2)
        Authors         : Robert Moskowitz
                          Tobias Heer
                          Petri Jokela
                          Thomas R. Henderson
	Filename        : draft-ietf-hip-rfc5201-bis-18.txt
	Pages           : 129
	Date            : 2014-09-22

Abstract:
   This document specifies the details of the Host Identity Protocol
   (HIP).  HIP allows consenting hosts to securely establish and
   maintain shared IP-layer state, allowing separation of the identifier
   and locator roles of IP addresses, thereby enabling continuity of
   communications across IP address changes.  HIP is based on a Diffie-
   Hellman key exchange, using public key identifiers from a new Host
   Identity namespace for mutual peer authentication.  The protocol is
   designed to be resistant to denial-of-service (DoS) and man-in-the-
   middle (MitM) attacks.  When used together with another suitable
   security protocol, such as the Encapsulated Security Payload (ESP),
   it provides integrity protection and optional encryption for upper-
   layer protocols, such as TCP and UDP.

   This document obsoletes RFC 5201 and addresses the concerns raised by
   the IESG, particularly that of crypto agility.  It also incorporates
   lessons learned from the implementations of RFC 5201.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hip-rfc5201-bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hip-rfc5201-bis-18

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-hip-rfc5201-bis-18

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Tom Henderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:42:30 -0700

All, the changes in draft version 18 are below:

    o  Update ORCHID reference to newly published RFC 7343

    o  Update example checksum section to RFC 7343 HIT prefix of
       2001:20::/28, and fix incorrect Header Length fields

    o  Update IANA considerations comment on legacy HIP_TRANSFORM
       parameter naming

    o  Add 2048-bit MODP DHE group as Group ID value 11.

I realized immediately after publishing version 18 (upon revisiting the 
tracker) that I hadn't updated the typo in the IPv6 documentation prefix 
in Appendix C, so I created draft version 19 for this.  While doing so, 
I discovered that the reference to the IPv4 documentation prefix was 
wrong, so I fixed this.  Finally, I reviewed Appendix E, Section 3.2, 
and RFC 7343 (per Francis Dupont's comment) and made a small change to 
Appendix E that I hope resolves the comment.

    o  Correct documentation prefix in Appendix C from 2001:D88/32 to
       2001:DB8/32, and update IPv6 checksum

    o  Correct documentation prefix reference from RFC 5747 to 5737

    o  Clarified HIT generation in Appendix E

To my knowledge, these updates close all previously raised issues on the 
draft.  It may be worthwhile for another implementation team to confirm 
the new checksum values that I generated for Appendix C.  I do have a 
question about the HIT Suite IDs that I'll post in another message.

- Tom