Subject: [Hipsec] RFC 7343 on An IPv6 Prefix for Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash Identifiers Version 2 (ORCHIDv2)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:17:40 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7343

        Title:      An IPv6 Prefix for Overlay 
                    Routable Cryptographic Hash Identifiers
                    Version 2 (ORCHIDv2) 
        Author:     J. Laganier, F. Dupont
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 28699
        Obsoletes:  RFC 4843

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-hip-rfc4843-bis-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7343.txt

This document specifies an updated Overlay Routable Cryptographic
Hash Identifiers (ORCHID) format that obsoletes that in RFC 4843.
These identifiers are intended to be used as endpoint identifiers at
applications and Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and not as
identifiers for network location at the IP layer, i.e., locators.
They are designed to appear as application-layer entities and at the
existing IPv6 APIs, but they should not appear in actual IPv6
headers.  To make them more like regular IPv6 addresses, they are
expected to be routable at an overlay level.  Consequently, while
they are considered non-routable addresses from the IPv6-layer
perspective, all existing IPv6 applications are expected to be able
to use them in a manner compatible with current IPv6 addresses.

The Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash Identifiers originally
defined in RFC 4843 lacked a mechanism for cryptographic algorithm
agility.  The updated ORCHID format specified in this document
removes this limitation by encoding, in the identifier itself, an
index to the suite of cryptographic algorithms in use.

This document is a product of the Host Identity Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC