Subject: [Hipsec] RFC 7401 on Host Identity Protocol Version 2 (HIPv2)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 13:43:58 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7401

        Title:      Host Identity Protocol Version 2 (HIPv2) 
        Author:     R. Moskowitz, Ed.,
                    T. Heer,
                    P. Jokela,
                    T. Henderson
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      128
        Characters: 309319
        Obsoletes:  RFC 5201

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-hip-rfc5201-bis-20.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7401

This document specifies the details of the Host Identity Protocol
(HIP).  HIP allows consenting hosts to securely establish and
maintain shared IP-layer state, allowing separation of the identifier
and locator roles of IP addresses, thereby enabling continuity of
communications across IP address changes.  HIP is based on a
Diffie-Hellman key exchange, using public key identifiers from a new
Host Identity namespace for mutual peer authentication.  The protocol
is designed to be resistant to denial-of-service (DoS) and
man-in-the-middle (MitM) attacks.  When used together with another
suitable security protocol, such as the Encapsulating Security
Payload (ESP), it provides integrity protection and optional
encryption for upper-layer protocols, such as TCP and UDP.

This document obsoletes RFC 5201 and addresses the concerns raised by
the IESG, particularly that of crypto agility.  It also incorporates
lessons learned from the implementations of RFC 5201.

This document is a product of the Host Identity Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC