Subject: [Hipsec] Document Action: 'Host Identity Protocol Architecture' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-hip-rfc4423-bis-20.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 07:15:27 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Host Identity Protocol Architecture'
  (draft-ietf-hip-rfc4423-bis-20.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Host Identity Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hip-rfc4423-bis/

Technical Summary

    This memo describes a new namespace, the Host Identity namespace,
    and a new protocol layer, the Host Identity Protocol, between the
    internetworking and transport layers.  Herein are presented the
    basics of the current namespaces, their strengths and weaknesses,
    and how a new namespace will add completeness to them.  The roles
    of this new namespace in the protocols are defined.

    This document obsoletes RFC 4423 and addresses the concerns raised
    by the IESG, particularly that of crypto agility.  It incorporates
    lessons learned from the implementations of RFC 5201 and goes
    further to explain how HIP works as a secure signaling channel.

Working Group Summary

   There was WG consensus behind this document.

Document Quality

   As discussed in RFC 6538, there are several implementations of the
    Experimental HIP specs. At least, HIP for Linux and OpenHIP will
    be updated to comply with the updated Standards-track
    specifications

Personnel

   Gonzalo Camarillo is the document shepherd. Terry Manderson is the
    responsible area director.