Subject: [Hipsec] Martin Duke's Discuss on draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal-31: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Martin Duke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 23:16:38 -0700

Martin Duke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal-31: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sec 4.2 and 4.6.2 specify a minimum of RTO of 500ms. There’s no way you would
know this,  but draft-ietf-tcpm-rto-consider is close to IESG approval and
specifies a minimum of 1 second without more information about the path. I
would prefer that we change these minimums but perhaps there’s a compelling
reason for 500ms?

 RFC 5770 is a normative downref. I couldn’t find indication the procedures in
 RFC 3967 or 4897 were followed to address this. One solution would be to
 downgrade this document to Experimental.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for an easy-to-read document.

---

From: Miika Komu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 20:24:05 +0000

Hi Martin,

ke, 2020-07-15 kello 23:16 -0700, Martin Duke via Datatracker
kirjoitti:
> Please refer to 
> https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

just to be sure, we're talking about UDP tunnels here. 500 ms is what
ICE uses and I believe QUIC (?) has maybe even more aggressive values?

Anyway, I have changed the value to 1000 ms as you requested and added 
draft-ietf-tcpm-rto-consider as normative reference.

>  downgrade this document to Experimental.

now it's Experimental:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal-32

thanks for your comments!