Subject: Re: [hrpc] New Version Notification for draft-tenoever-hrpc-research-00.txt

From: avri doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 16:52:01 -0300

Hi,

I did a read through but have not had a chance to write up the comments
in a legible manner.

These are some general comments

- the discussion centers around general behaviors and there is very
little discussion of protocol element.

- Many of the effects seem more related to IP issues (e.g. visible SRC &
DST) than to elements of the specific protocol itself.  In a sense they
seem to be larger architectural issues (also a part of the RG's work) as
opposed to protocol issues.  But they are not broken out that way. 
Might be worth differentiating between the architectural issues and the
protocol issues.

- Much on the comment of the protocols is more about how people can
misuse the protocols and not abut protocol elements that enable bad or
good behavior. 

- also, so much of the discussion seems to circle around implementation
and not the protocols themselves.

- I think the discussion needs to take some of the work that is going
into protecting these protocols into account (e.g. HTTP -> HTTPS). The
draft did this for P2P but not for many of other discussions.

- much of the discussion focuses on privacy elements, which are already
covered and not on other aspects of FoE and FoA.  Ie. something is a
problem because the lack of privacy affects the FoE or FoA.  This is 
good point, but is it specific to the protocols? 

- I think the consideration questions at the end are good questions, but
I am not sure I see how they all come from the issues discussion in many
cases.  Might be good to link questions to specifics discussed earlier
in the draft.

Sorry to be so last minute and somewhat less than fully coherent about
these.

avri

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 04:32:43 +0200

Thanks a lot for this Avri, very good points. Corinne and I will do a
complete review on the draft based on these comments and address them
point by point.

This might also be a good point for others who have structural or less
structural problems with the draft [0] to let us know so we can address
a lot of comments at once.

We aim to have a revised version in three to four weeks.

Cheers,

Niels

[0] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tenoever-hrpc-research-00

Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9

On 04/04/2016 09:52 PM, avri doria wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> hrpc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/hrpc
>