Subject: Re: [hrpc] Human Rights Research Group Call on draft-irtf-hrpc-research-07

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 02:04:12 -0800

Hi Niels,

>Because the literature shows different positions on the 'societal impact
>of protocols'. It shows how technology performs more than a merely
>'technical function'.

If I understood the above correctly, what you are saying is that 
"technical standards" are not neutral.  For example, the technical 
standard(s) may directly or indirectly give a country or entities in 
a country an economic or political advantage, sometimes, at the 
expense of other countries.  That is the central thesis of one of the 
books cited in the draft.  It is also being argued that public policy 
is part of all this, i.e. it is not a technical function if public 
policy is included.  There are research papers in which all this is 
discussed from a "standards-setting" perspective.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 13:06:30 -0800

Hi Avri,

>I know of at least one review, from one of the IETF General Area
>reviewers, that is still being worked on and would like to be able to
>accept it as part of the Last Call comments, assuming it shows up  in
>the next few days.  Are they any other pending reviews in progress?

The comments which I sent (please see 
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hrpc/current/msg00774.html ) 
have not been addressed.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy