Subject: [hrpc] Possibly interesting, Bloomberg TV

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 17:03:14 -0500

Bloomberg TV is running a feature on "The Dark Side of Algorithms",
interview guest Cathy O'Neil author of "Weapons of Math Destruction".

It runs periodically, only a few minutes long.

A lot of it touches on what we all know.

But she does make a good general point about how something algorithmic
rights violations causes is they intimidate people who feel they
aren't equipped to argue about flaws in "algorithms".

It raises the question of: Just as when people are intimidated by
legal jargon and seek lawyers whom should they seek if they feel their
rights were violated by an algorithm (or protocol)?

How many lawyers, for example, are competent to build such a case? Or
without needing to immediately resort to expensive expert witnesses
etc. over what probably should be a relatively minor matter.

But it's the public airing which is probably most interesting.

-- 
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email-masked]             | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: +1 617-STD-WRLD       | 800-THE-WRLD
The World: Since 1989  | A Public Information Utility | *oo*