Subject: [hrpc] [[email-masked]: Re: DNSOP Call for Adoption draft-vixie-dns-rpz]

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 11:31:28 +0100

RPZ has been adopted by the IETF DNSOP working group (and the new
draft published). This is interesting for us because most of the
discussions pre-adoption were about human rights (RPZ can facilitate
censorship), is technology neutral, etc.

Subject: Re: DNSOP Call for Adoption draft-vixie-dns-rpz
From: tjw ietf <[email-masked]>
To: dnsop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 12:54:25 -0500
List-Id: IETF DNSOP WG mailing list <dnsop.ietf.org>

All

The Call for Adoption on draft-vixie-dns-rpz ended some time ago, and the
results were a solid in favor of adoption.  However, the legitmacy of the
argument in opposition to adopting seems fairly significant about certain
parts of the draft.

In discussing this with our AD, the opinion is that if this same
opposition  manifests in the IETF last call there would have
reservations about advancing it.

So if we consider this rough consensus for  the purposes of adoption
it means we believe we will be better off with an improved, working-
group-owned document then this one.

We’re going to go ahead and adopt it for DNSOP, with the intention of
resolving the concerns people expressed by keeping the status as
informational (not standards track) and making sure the cautions and
limitations the WG discussed on the use of RPZ are clear in the document.

thanks
tim
suzanne

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 10:16 AM, tjw ietf <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Why not just wade into this discussion...
>
> The draft is being present as "Informational", and the point here is to
> document current working behavior in the DNS (for the past several years)