Subject: [hrpc] IETF99 Hackathon HTTP status code 451

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 16:09:24 +0200

Hi all,

dkg, Joe Hall and I are organizing a project in the hackathon preceding
IETF99. The hackathon will be focus on HTTP error code 451.

A bit more detailed description of the project can be found here
(source:
https://www.ietf.org/registration/MeetingWiki/wiki/doku.php?id=99hackathon):
_____

 HTTP error code 451

Champions:
Niels ten Oever (ARTICLE 19), dkg (ACLU), Joe Hall (CDT)

Background:
HTTP error code 451 (RFC7725) is an error code to report legal obstacles
for serving a webpage. During the hackathon we will focus on
implementing and measuring this status code to make censorship more
transparent.

Specifications, etc: RFC7725 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7725

Code repo: https://github.com/451hackathon

Project and Goals:
 - a web-crawler to scan for HTTP error code 451 instances
 - a browser plugin which would report to the user, and optionally to
the webcrawler, cases of HTTP error code 451
 - a WordPress plugin which would enable site admins to block specific
fields and serve 'blocked-by' info
 - create an implementation report
(https://www.ietf.org/iesg/implementation-report.html) for RFC7725
 - write human rights consideration for RFC7725 (in line with
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-hrpc-research-12)

____

Of course you are all very much invited to join the hackathon,
especially since part of the workplan is to make human rights
considerations for RFC7725.

But suggestions here are of course also very welcome.

All the best,

Niels

-- 
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488
                   643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3