Subject: [hrpc] [[email-masked]: Last Call: <draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-13.txt> (Effect of Pervasive Encryption on Operators) to Informational RFC]

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 05:41:18 +0100

Obvious consequences for human rights: too much encryption?

[That's probably relevant for the anonymity draft]

Subject: Last Call: <draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-13.txt> (Effect of Pervasive Encryption on Operators) to Informational RFC
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 06:06:50 -0800
List-Id: "IETF announcement list. No discussions." <ietf-announce.ietf.org>

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the
following document: - 'Effect of Pervasive Encryption on Operators'
  <draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-13.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-12-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Pervasive Monitoring (PM) attacks on the privacy of Internet users is
   of serious concern to both the user and the operator communities.
   RFC7258 discussed the critical need to protect users' privacy when
   developing IETF specifications and also recognized making networks
   unmanageable to mitigate PM is not an acceptable outcome, an
   appropriate balance is needed.  This document discusses current
   security and network management practices that may be impacted by the
   shift to increased use of encryption to help guide protocol
   development in support of manageable, secure networks.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: Bob Harold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 12:21:32 -0500

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 11:41 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
> Bcc:
> Subject: Last Call: <draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-13.txt> (Effect of
> Pervasive Encryption on Operators) to Informational RFC
>
Minor text notes:

In 7.3.  Effect of Encryption on New or Emerging Services

The end of "2." says:
   "when the application -type is unknown."
Either the space " " or hyphen "-" in "application -type" should be removed.

And "3." is empty.

-- 
Bob Harold