Subject: [http-auth] Last Call: <draft-ietf-httpauth-extension-07.txt> (HTTP Authentication Extensions for Interactive Clients) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 13:41:10 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Hypertext Transfer Protocol
Authentication WG (httpauth) to consider the following document:
- 'HTTP Authentication Extensions for Interactive Clients'
  <draft-ietf-httpauth-extension-07.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-08-26. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document specifies extensions for the HTTP authentication
   framework for interactive clients.  Currently, fundamental features
   of HTTP-level authentication are insufficient for complex
   requirements of various Web-based applications.  This forces these
   applications to implement their own authentication frameworks by
   means like HTML forms, which becomes one of the hurdles against
   introducing secure authentication mechanisms handled jointly by
   servers and user-agent.  The extended framework fills gaps between
   Web application requirements and HTTP authentication provisions to
   solve the above problems, while maintaining compatibility with
   existing Web and non-Web uses of HTTP authentications.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpauth-extension/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpauth-extension/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.