Subject: [i2rs] Architecture Discussion 5: Client Redundancy

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:59:40 -0400

In draft-ietf-i2rs-architecture-00 Sec 6.4.1:

"I2RS must support client redundancy. At the simplest, this can be

   handled by having a primary and a backup network application that
   both use the same client identity and can successfully authenticate
   as such.  Since I2RS does not require a continuous transport
   connection and supports multiple transport sessions, this can provide
   some basic redundancy.  However, it does not address concerns for

   troubleshooting and accountability about knowing which network
   application is actually active.  At a minimum, basic transport
   information about each connection and time can be logged with the
   identity.  Further discussion is necessary to determine whether
   additional client identification information is necessary.[[Editor's
   note: This requires more discussion in the working group.]]"

I would like to start this discussion.  During and after the Berlin IETF, there

was significant discussion on the list.  I tried to capture the ideas that were

expressed then.  Is what is in the draft now sufficient?  How should
it be improved

upon?

Thanks,

Alia (WG-Chair hat off)

---

From: Scott Whyte <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 20:41:03 +0100

On Thursday, September 12, 2013, Alia Atlas wrote:

> expressed then.  Is what is in the draft now sufficient?  How should it be improved
>
> upon?
>
>
Per the pub-sub discussion on the other threads, I think this is best
solved outside of I2RS.

-Scott

-- 
There was never any more inception than there is now,
Nor any more youth or age than there is now,
And will never be any more perfection than there is now,
Nor any more heaven or hell than there is now.
  -Walt Whitman