Subject: [i2rs] Bulk data collection use cases draft submitted

From: Scott Whyte <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:02:36 -0700

We've submitted a draft of what we believe to be interesting bulk data
collection use cases for I2RS, and the concomitant functionality
missing from existing solutions.  Please read and comment.

Normative and informative references are still to be added, and the
draft is still rough around the edges.  Data model discussions are
deliberately left out, hopefully the scope is sufficient.  And of
course other interesting use cases would be welcome.

Thanks for having a look.

-Scott

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-swhyte-i2rs-data-collection-system-00.txt
To: Scott Whyte <[email-masked]>, Marcus Hines <[email-masked]>,
Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-swhyte-i2rs-data-collection-system-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Scott Whyte and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-swhyte-i2rs-data-collection-system
Revision:        00
Title:           Bulk Network Data Collection System
Creation date:   2013-10-21
Group:           Individual Submission
Number of pages: 10
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-swhyte-i2rs-data-collection-system-00.txt
Status:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-swhyte-i2rs-data-collection-system
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-swhyte-i2rs-data-collection-system-00

Abstract:
   Collecting large amounts of data from network infrastructure devices
   has never been very easy.  Existing methods generate CPU and memory
   loads that may be unacceptable, the output varies across
   implementations and can be difficult to parse, and these methods are
   often difficult to scale.  I2RS programmatic interfacing with the
   routing system may exacerbate this problem: state needs to be
   collected from nodes and fed to consumers participating in the
   control plane that may not be physically close to the nodes.  This
   state includes not only control plane information, but elements of
   the data plane that have a direct impact on control plane behavior,
   like traffic engineering.

   This document outlines a set of use cases requiring a flexible
   framework to collect routing system data, and the features and
   functionality needed to make such a framework useful for these use
   cases.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat