Subject: [i2rs] I-D Action: draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-info-model-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 09:52:32 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Interface to the Routing System Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Routing Information Base Info Model
	Author(s)       : Nitin Bahadur
                          Ron Folkes
                          Sriganesh Kini
                          Jan Medved
	Filename        : draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-info-model-01.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2013-10-18

Abstract:
   Routing and routing functions in enterprise and carrier networks are
   typically performed by network devices (routers and switches) using a
   routing information base (RIB).  Protocols and configuration push
   data into the RIB and the RIB manager install state into the
   hardware; for packet forwarding.  This draft specifies an information
   model for the RIB to enable defining a standardized data model.  Such
   a data model can be used to define an interface to the RIB from an
   entity that may even be external to the network device.  This
   interface can be used to support new use-cases being defined by the
   IETF I2RS WG.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-info-model

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-info-model-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-info-model-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Nitin Bahadur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 09:59:45 -0700

New version of the RIB info model has been posted. Main changes include:

- Inter-domain (AS) specific stuff is out from the main grammar. I've
added a new section called "Inter-domain extensions to the RIB" that puts
all the inter-domain stuff as optional augmentations.

- Consolidated rib-family and nexthop-address-family into a single thing.
They were simply duplicates.

- Got rid of fields nexthop-attributes. There was contention that things
like NO_PROPAGATE_TTL and NO_DECREMENT_TTL are too implementation specific
and shouldn't be in the info model. Since those were only the only
attributes currently present, there was no point in having a nexthop-attr
object that contained nothing.

- Got rid of the INSTANCE_DISTINGUISHER. It was a topic of great
discussion and everyone felt that INSTANCE_NAME and INSTANCE_DISTINGUISHER
were both the same thing (from a modeling perspective).

- Fixed numbering for the figures

- Added reference to multicast in the figures

- Got rid of route-metric, since there was no strong use-case for a
controller programming 2 routes with different metrics in the same RIB.

- Enhanced ipv4/ipv6 route object so as to enable source based routing.

Events and notifications section has not been updated in this rev.

Thanks
Nitin

On Oct 18, 2013, at 9:52 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> i2rs mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i2rs

Thanks
Nitin