Subject: [i2rs] Comments on draft-hares-i2rs-use-case-vn-vc-02

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 19:08:25 -0500

A few comments as I catch up on my reading:

"SDN is a new to the Internet space." Delete "a".

"applications life cycles". s/applications/application/

"how do calculate". s/do/to/

"The means by which the VCoD application determines which I2RS client
 to associate with is outside the I2RS protocol and architecture."

Why is it being set outside of the architecture?  While I understand there
are good cases presented later for non-I2RS mechanisms to make this
determination, I'm not sure we want to preclude it.  (This isn't to say that
we should focus on implementing it either.)

In section 3's requirements, don't we also want some ability to impact
CoS/QoS?  This seems particularly important since we're attempting to do
virtualized circuits in this use case.

Section 4's requirements look like things that in most of the cases also
belong to section 3.  Perhaps those should be put in the same section?

One case in particular, "removing the virtual networks after demand has
expired" not only applies to VCoD, but also begs the question of whether
this should be considered as a timed/clocked event.  Certainly an agent can
do the work via protocol manipulation, but that state itself may simply have
its own lifetime.

I'm also curious if Section 3 should include some text about interacting
with other methods of provisioning such as RSVP via I2RS.  (I do realize
that suggesting such a thing makes me a bit of a SDN heretic. :-)

-- Jeff