Subject: [i2rs] Is I2RS an alternative to OpenFlow and can they work together?

From: Shahryar Ali Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 11:59:03 +0500

Is I2RS about programming the RIBs only as compared to OpenFlow which we
can call per-flow forwarding. And i am not sure how I2RS will separate the
control plane from the forwarding plane like OpenFlow. And can I2RS and
OpenFlow work together to achieve an optimized software defined network?

regards,
Shahryar Ali
Product Engineer - Wireless Networks

---

From: Truman Boyes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 11:53:05 -0400

Influencing/Programming RIBs can allow for a richer set of programming than
the actions defined in OFP today. I2RS is much closer to natural routing
behaviour with individual nodes running protocols.

I believe there is a future where both methods can live together,
especially with OpenFlow implementations supporting fall-through to normal
forwarding modes or multiple tables, etc.

Truman

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 2:59 AM, Shahryar Ali Khan <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> i2rs mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i2rs
>
>

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 23:26:01 +0200

Hi Shahryar,

I think right analogy between I2RS and OF could be build to the choice of
your programming language ...

Do you want to focus on real problems to be solved and use higher level
compiler languages which do offer wide portability of your applications

or

You see need to do everything in assembler language highly custom to your
hardware underneath with zero practical portability across platforms ?
(Leave alone the issue that even real OF hardware is far from ready for
production use and each platform which claims to be OF 1.x ready differs
from one another

I can assure you that real SDN value has no dependency on the latter and
can be much faster accelerated with the former.

Best,
R.

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Shahryar Ali Khan <[email-masked]