Subject: [i2rs] draft-white-i2rs-use-case-03.txt

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 15:23:47 -0400

I2RS WG: 

This use case draft has been changed to provide a numbered list of
requirements (per Jeff's request).  The authors welcome feedback on these
changes.  

Sue 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 3:21 PM
To: Alvaro Retana; Susan Hares; Susan Hares; Russ White; Russ White; Alvaro
Retana
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-white-i2rs-use-case-03.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-white-i2rs-use-case-03.txt has been successfully
submitted by Susan Hares and posted to the IETF repository.

Name:       draft-white-i2rs-use-case

Revision:   03

Title:            Protocol Independent Use Cases for an Interface to the
Routing System

Document date:    2014-06-04

Group:            Individual Submission

Pages:            15

URL:
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-white-i2rs-use-case-03.txt>
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-white-i2rs-use-case-03.txt

Status:
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-white-i2rs-use-case/>
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-white-i2rs-use-case/

Htmlized:        <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-white-i2rs-use-case-03>
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-white-i2rs-use-case-03

Diff:
<http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-white-i2rs-use-case-03>
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-white-i2rs-use-case-03

Abstract:

   Programmatic interfaces to provide control over individual forwarding

   devices in a network promise to reduce operational costs while

   improving scaling, control, and visibility into the operation of

   large scale networks.  To this end, several programmatic interfaces

   have been proposed.  OpenFlow, for instance, provides a mechanism to

   replace the dynamic control plane processes on individual forwarding

   devices throughout a network with off box processes that interact

   with the forwarding tables on each device.  Another example is

   NETCONF, which provides a fast and flexible mechanism to interact

   with device configuration and policy.

   There is, however, no proposal which provides an interface to all

   aspects of the routing system as a system.  Such a system would not

   interact with the forwarding system on individual devices, but rather

   with the control plane processes already used to discover the best

   path to any given destination through the network, as well as

   interact with the routing information base (RIB), which feeds the

   forwarding table the information needed to actually switch traffic at

   a local level.

   This document describes a set of use cases such a system could

   fulfill.  It is designed to provide underlying support for the

   framework, policy, and other drafts describing the Interface to the

   Routing System (I2RS).

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 12:30:52 -0400

Sue,

> requirements (per Jeff's request).  The authors welcome feedback on these

Thanks for doing this work.  I think this enumerated break-out of the
requirements strongly benefits the use case documents.

As we work through the adoption cycle for the use case drafts, we'll likely
copy these to the WG wiki to provide a summary across multiple documents.

-- Jeff

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 20:21:31 -0400

Jeff and I2RS: 

Thank for your feedback.  With your OK,  I will continue copying these to
the use cases to the wiki.

Sue  

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Haas [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:31 PM
To: Susan Hares
Cc: [email-masked]; 'Jeffrey Haas'; Edward Crabbe
Subject: Re: [i2rs] draft-white-i2rs-use-case-03.txt

Sue,

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 03:23:47PM -0400, Susan Hares wrote:
> requirements (per Jeff's request).  The authors welcome feedback on 
> these changes.

-- Jeff