Subject: [i2rs] Why do we need a datastore?

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 00:25:26 -0400

Hi,

I'd like to really understand why I2RS needs a datastore and what that
actually means.
In my initial conception of what an I2RS agent would do for, say, writing a
route in the RIB
model, is that  the I2RS agent would simply parse a received request from a
standard format
and model into the internal and pass that to a RIB Manager - just as an
OSPF implementation
might install a route to the RIB manager.  An I2RS agent could also query
the RIB Manager to
read routes and there'd be events coming out.

With the introduction of priorities to handle multi-headed writers and
collision errors, the I2RS agent would need to store what was written by
which client.

What benefits and rationale does a YANG datastore add?  Why does using one
need to be
standardized?

I apologize if this seems a naive question, but it's been quite a while
since I read up on YANG and NetConf/RestConf.

Regards,
no-hats  Alia