Subject: Re: [i2rs] Qustion about SFC-Use-REQ07 of draft-ietf-i2rs-usecase-reqs-summary-00

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 04:38:22 -0500

Linda and Mach: 

My understanding of the original text matches yours.  I'll query Nabil Bitar
and his co-authors to verify my understanding. 

Sue 

From: Linda Dunbar [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 3:50 PM
To: Susan Hares; Mach Chen; [email-masked]
Subject: Qustion about SFC-Use-REQ07 of
draft-ietf-i2rs-usecase-reqs-summary-00

Mach and Sue, 

One more question about SFC-Use-REQ07: 

SFC-Use-REQ07 (IC): Virtual Network Topology (VNT)

which includes:

* number of access points to which service topology applies

* topology of access points

Does the "Virtual Network Topology" in SFC-Use-REQ07" mean the "Topology of
Service Function Forwarder Nodes"? 

If yes, suggest to change the text to:

SFC-Use-REQ07 : Service Function Forwarder Topology

Which includes:

.         The number of  SFF nodes

.         Topology of the SFF nodes

If not, what is this "Virtual Network Topology" ?

Linda

From: Linda Dunbar 
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 1:16 PM
To: 'Susan Hares'; Mach Chen; [email-masked]
Subject: Questions & suggestions to draft-ietf-i2rs-usecase-reqs-summary-00

Mach and Sue, 

I have some questions and suggestions  for the Section 7:  Req from SFC Use
Cases:

-          SFC-US-REQ01: 

o   Is the  "service node" here mean "Service Function" Node? Why need the "
host system" address? Is "host system address " the Server address When
multiple service functions are instantiated on the server? Then the "Server"
address is not referenced by Forwarding node. Why need here?

o   It makes more sense to have  "Service Node Address & Service Function
Index" tuple to cover the case of one service node having multiple service
functions instantiated. 

-           SFC-USE-REQ02:

o   SF type should be "Vendor & SF name". FW by different vendors have
different functionalities. Same goes IP Firewall, LB, etc. 

-          SFC-USE-REQ03:

o   What is the "virtual contexts" for? Is the "Virtual Context" here mean
the same as NVo3's "virtual context", i.e. the "Virtual Network Identifier"?

I think Routers have to expose which fields that routers are capable of
steering. For example, 

-          Steering packets based on L2 Layer: MPLS label, MAC destination,
MAC source, VID, EtherType

-          Steering packets based on any field of GRE header, VxLAN header,
..

-          Steering packets based on L3 Layer: IP destination, IP Source,
protocol code, .

-          Steering packets based on L4 fields: TCP port, UDP port

-          Steering packets based on ingress port, 

-          Steering packets based on any bits in the packet

-          Steering packets based on packet size, 

-          Steering packets based on time of the day, 

Linda