Subject: [i2rs] Last Call: <draft-ietf-i2rs-pub-sub-requirements-05.txt> (Requirements for Subscription to YANG Datastores) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 10:58:27 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Interface to the Routing System
WG (i2rs) to consider the following document:
- 'Requirements for Subscription to YANG Datastores'
  <draft-ietf-i2rs-pub-sub-requirements-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-04-29. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document provides requirements for a service that allows client
   applications to subscribe to updates of a YANG datastore.  Based on
   criteria negotiated as part of a subscription, updates will be pushed
   to targeted recipients.  Such a capability eliminates the need for
   periodic polling of YANG datastores by applications and fills a
   functional gap in existing YANG transports (i.e.  Netconf and
   Restconf).  Such a service can be summarized as a "pub/sub" service
   for YANG datastore updates.  Beyond a set of basic requirements for
   the service, various refinements are addressed.  These refinements
   include: periodicity of object updates, filtering out of objects
   underneath a requested a subtree, and delivery QoS guarantees.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-pub-sub-requirements/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-pub-sub-requirements/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 18:01:33 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "tom p." <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 5:55 PM

> This I-D gives a fresh definition of 'datastore' in s.3
>
>    A YANG datastore is a conceptual datastore that contains
hierarchical
>    data defined in YANG data models.  It is what is referred in
existing
>    RFCs as "NETCONF datastore".  However, as the same datastore is no
>    longer tied to NETCONF as a specific transport, the term "YANG
>    datastore" is deemed more appropriate.
>
> which I think unhelpful.  There is no such term as  'NETCONF
datastore';
> rather there is 'datastore' defined (in RFC6241) as
>
>    o  datastore: A conceptual place to store and access information.
A
>       datastore might be implemented, for example, using files, a
>       database, flash memory locations, or combinations thereof.
>
> and widely used now in OAM RFC and I-D.  It can be used with the
NETCONF
> protocol ( which is not just a transport), it can be used with
RESTCONF
> and could in future be used with other application protocols.
>
> YANG 1.0 (RFC6020) could have, should have, imported that definition
in
> s.3 (as other RFC and I-D do); rather it uses the phrase 'NETCONF
> datastore' which makes it clear where the definition comes from but
that
> does not tie it to a particular protocol nor does it qualify its
> meaning.  In the context of YANG, it is the unit of constraint
checking.
>
> Although NETCONF and YANG have grown up in tandem, NETCONF could be
used
> with another DDL but with the same concept of datastore just as the
> concept of datastore can be used with another prototocol, such as
> RESTCONF.
>
> So if this I-D wants to use 'datastore' as defined in RFC6241, then it
> should import and use it; if it wants another concept, then it should
> mint a fresh term and define that.  From reading the I-D, I suspect
that
> the latter is the case, that the concept is nothing to do with
> 'datastore' (as currently defined in the IETF) and is just
configuration
> and state data on a device modelled with YANG as a DDL.
>
> (In passing, one of the work items that the netmod WG circles around,
> and will I am sure one day take on and complete, is the removal of
> NETCONF from the documentation of YANG so that YANG is a standalone
> DDL - but still importing the concept of datastore).
>
> Tom Petch
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "The IESG" <[email-masked]>
> To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
> <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, April 15, 2016 6:58 PM
> Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-i2rs-pub-sub-requirements-05.txt>
> (Requirements for Subscription to YANG Datastores) to Proposed
Standard
> > [email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-04-29. Exceptionally, comments
may
> be
> > IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-pub-sub-requirements/ba
> llot/