Subject: [i2rs] RTG-DIR QA review: draft-ietf-i2rs-protocol-security-requirements-04.txt

From: Tomonori Takeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 16:39:22 +0000

Hi,

I have been selected as the Routing Directorate QA reviewer for this draft.

Document: draft-ietf-i2rs-protocol-security-requirements-04.txt
Reviewer: Tomonori Takeda
Review Date: May 20, 2016
Intended Status: Standards Track

I am not following I2RS work closely, but in the spirit of QA review, this is OK in my understanding.
https://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/rtg/trac/wiki/RtgDirDocQa

Here are my comments.

I think it is very important to have documents dedicated for security for new protocols such as I2RS protocols.
Overall, I think the document is well organized and clear what are security requirements for I2RS.

Some specific comments.

1) The document is intended to be Standards Track. I do not think it is common for requirement drafts to be Standards Track.

2) In Section 3.1, requirements are mentioned that are set in draft-ietf-i2rs-architecture-15. 
   Some of these requirements are not directly mentioned in draft-ietf-i2rs-architecture-15, 
   but rather implied.

   For example, draft-ietf-i2rs-architecture-15 mentions identifier for I2RS client,
   but does not mention identifier for I2RS agent (IMO).
   Please note that I think requirements mentioned in Section 3.1. makes sense and valid.
   I am just commenting on the way of writing.

3) I think there is dependency on requirements mentioned in this document.
   Specifically, if mutual authentication (Section 3.1), secure transport (Section 3.2),
   and role-based security (Section 3.3) are met, confidentiality (Section 3.3) and 
   integrity (Section 3.4) can be achieved (expect SEC-REQ-16: traceability requirement).

   Perhaps, it depends on in which aspects security requirements should be written
   (in terms of mechanisms or in terms of features). Again, I am just commenting
   on the way of writing.

4) This is just an edit, but in page.10, 
   "Requirements SEC-REQ-13 and SEC-REQ-14" should be
   "Requirements SEC-REQ-14 and SEC-REQ-15".

Thanks,
Tomonori Takeda

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 10:05:33 -0400

Takeda-san: 

Thank you for your excellent review.  My responses to your comments are
below.  I've released a version-05 to address your comments. 

Sue 

-----Original Message-----

From: i2rs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tomonori Takeda

Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 12:39 PM

To: [email-masked]

Cc: [email-masked]';
[email-masked]'; [email-masked]

Subject: [i2rs] RTG-DIR QA review:
draft-ietf-i2rs-protocol-security-requirements-04.txt

Hi,

I am not following I2RS work closely, but in the spirit of QA review, this
is OK in my understanding.

Here are my comments.

I think it is very important to have documents dedicated for security for
new protocols such as I2RS protocols.

Overall, I think the document is well organized and clear what are security
requirements for I2RS.

Some specific comments.

1) The document is intended to be Standards Track. I do not think it is
common for requirement drafts to be Standards Track.

Sue: You are correct.  This is my error. I should have changed it this
morning. 

2) In Section 3.1, requirements are mentioned that are set in
draft-ietf-i2rs-architecture-15. 

   Some of these requirements are not directly mentioned in
draft-ietf-i2rs-architecture-15, 

   but rather implied.

   For example, draft-ietf-i2rs-architecture-15 mentions identifier for I2RS
client,

   Please note that I think requirements mentioned in Section 3.1. makes
sense and valid.

Sue: You are correct that the mutual identification implies an identity for
the agent. 

Also in Section 2 of draft-ietf-i2rs-architecture-15 mentions: 

   role or security role:   A security role specifies the scope,

      resources, priorities, etc. that a client or agent has.  If a

      identity has multiple roles in the security system, the identity

      is permitted to perform any operations any of those roles permit.

      Multiple identities may use the same security role.

   Specifically, if mutual authentication (Section 3.1), secure transport
(Section 3.2),

   and role-based security (Section 3.3) are met, confidentiality (Section
3.3) and 

   integrity (Section 3.4) can be achieved (expect SEC-REQ-16: traceability
requirement).

   Perhaps, it depends on in which aspects security requirements should be
written

   (in terms of mechanisms or in terms of features). Again, I am just
commenting

   on the way of writing.

Sue: You make an excellent point: 

I have added to the first part section 3.0 after the first paragraph: 

New/

<t>There are dependencies in some of the requirements below.  For 

confidentiality (section 3.3) and integrity (section 3.4) to be achieved,
the

client-agent must have mutual authentication (section 3.1) and secure
transport (section 3.2).   I2RS allows the use of an insecure transport for
portions of data models that clearly indicate insecure transport.  If
insecure transport is used, then confidentiality and integrity cannot be
achieved.

</t>

--- Thank you for the editorial comment 

Thanks,

Tomonori Takeda

_______________________________________________

i2rs mailing list

[email-masked]

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i2rs

---

From: Tomonori Takeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 13:51:21 +0000

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the update.

This version looks good to me, except one editorial comment.

> --- Thank you for the editorial comment

Now, text is “Requirements SEC-REQ-14 and SEC-REQ-16”, but it should be “Requirements SEC-REQ-14 and SEC-REQ-15”.
(Again, this is just an editorial comment.)

Thanks,
Tomonori Takeda

From: Susan Hares [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2016 11:06 PM
To: Tomonori Takeda（武田知典）; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [i2rs] RTG-DIR QA review: draft-ietf-i2rs-protocol-security-requirements-04.txt

Takeda-san:

Thank you for your excellent review.  My responses to your comments are below.  I’ve released a version-05 to address your comments.

Sue

-----Original Message-----

To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

Subject: [i2rs] RTG-DIR QA review: draft-ietf-i2rs-protocol-security-requirements-04.txt

Hi,

Here are my comments.

Some specific comments.

Sue: You are correct.  This is my error. I should have changed it this morning.

   but rather implied.

Sue: You are correct that the mutual identification implies an identity for the agent.

   on the way of writing.

New/

confidentiality (section 3.3) and integrity (section 3.4) to be achieved, the

client-agent must have mutual authentication (section 3.1) and secure transport (section 3.2).   I2RS allows the use of an insecure transport for portions of data models that clearly indicate insecure transport.  If insecure transport is used, then confidentiality and integrity cannot be achieved.

</t>

Thanks,

Tomonori Takeda

i2rs mailing list

[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 09:53:35 -0400

Tomonori:

Thanks for noticing my error.   I’ve released version -06 the change.

Sue

From: Tomonori Takeda [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2016 9:51 AM
To: 'Susan Hares'; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [i2rs] RTG-DIR QA review:
draft-ietf-i2rs-protocol-security-requirements-04.txt

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the update.

> --- Thank you for the editorial comment

Now, text is “Requirements SEC-REQ-14 and SEC-REQ-16”, but it should be
“Requirements SEC-REQ-14 and SEC-REQ-15”.

Thanks,

Tomonori Takeda

From: Susan Hares [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2016 11:06 PM
To: Tomonori Takeda（武田知典）; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [i2rs] RTG-DIR QA review:
draft-ietf-i2rs-protocol-security-requirements-04.txt

Takeda-san:

Thank you for your excellent review.  My responses to your comments are
below.  I’ve released a version-05 to address your comments.

Sue

-----Original Message-----

To: [email-masked]

Cc: [email-masked]';

Hi,

Here are my comments.

Some specific comments.

   but rather implied.

   on the way of writing.

New/

</t>

Thanks,

Tomonori Takeda

i2rs mailing list

[email-masked]