Subject: [i2rs] I2RS Hackathon Project announcement

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 20:38:27 -0400

I've attached the announcement for an I2RS project at IETF 96 Hackathon.
I'd love feedback and feedback on this outline.  There will be code
available prior to IETF 96.  

Sue Hares

---

From: Edwin Cordeiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 10:45:44 +0200

Hi Susan,

The proposal seems good. I'll be there, count on me as volunteer.

I was working on the VM to be used at the Hackathon with the suggestions
from the last time. As you are saying that code will be available before
the meeting, I can test it and try to integrate it into this VM.

Questions:
- When will the code be available?
- Should I continue with this VM creation?

Best Regards,
Edwin Cordeiro

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 2:38 AM, Susan Hares <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I’ve attached the announcement for an I2RS project at IETF 96 Hackathon.
> I’d love feedback and feedback on this outline.  There will be code
> _______________________________________________
> i2rs mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i2rs
>
>

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 15:23:44 -0400

Edwin: 

Continuing with the VM creation is great.  You might want to talk to Don Fedyk about his work on VMs.   

Sue 

From: i2rs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Edwin Cordeiro
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2016 4:46 AM
To: Susan Hares
Cc: i2rs
Subject: Re: [i2rs] I2RS Hackathon Project announcement

Hi Susan,

I was working on the VM to be used at the Hackathon with the suggestions from the last time. As you are saying that code will be available before the meeting, I can test it and try to integrate it into this VM.

Questions:

Best Regards,

Edwin Cordeiro

I’ve attached the announcement for an I2RS project at IETF 96 Hackathon.  I’d love feedback and feedback on this outline.  There will be code available prior to IETF 96.  

Sue Hares

---

From: Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 09:36:54 -0400

> available prior to IETF 96.

Not sure what is meant by:

Port Ubuntu package to ONS and ODL, and may sure application programs

What do you mean to say in that last part?

It would be nice to have the traceability bits as part of this using 
pub-sub or at least dumped to a local file.

Joe

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 14:23:18 -0400

Edwin: 

The base code will be ready by July 11th.  Hopefully, some code sooner. 

Sue 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Edwin Cordeiro
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2016 4:18 AM
To: Susan Hares
Cc: [email-masked]; Charles Eckel (eckelcu); Eric Voit (evoit); [email-masked]; Alexander Clemm (alex); Fedyk, Don; Russ White; Alia Atlas; Miaofuyou (Miao Fuyou); Jeffrey Haas
Subject: Re: [i2rs] I2RS Hackathon Project announcement

Hi Susan,

Questions:

Best Regards,

Edwin Cordeiro

Sue Hares

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 14:48:08 -0400

Joe: 

Thanks for pointing out the error.  Here's what it should have said: 

Goals (in order) 
1.	Implementation of I2RS RIB and L3 Topology drafts in Quagga over
Ubuntu 14.04 without notifications,  
2.	Create application programs that query and utilize I2RS
NETCONF/RESTCONF interface on ubuntu 14.04, 
3.	Add notifications to I2RS RIB and topology drafts  
4.	Port Ubuntu package to ONS and ODL.

I'm glad to add work on the traceability.   Do you have any suggestions on
what we could do with the I2RS RIB and L3 Topology drafts. 

Sue 

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Clarke [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2016 9:37 AM
To: Susan Hares; [email-masked]; 'Charles Eckel (eckelcu)'
Cc: 'Eric Voit (evoit)'; [email-masked]; 'Alexander Clemm (alex)';
'Fedyk, Don'; 'Russ White'; 'Alia Atlas'; 'Miaofuyou (Miao Fuyou)'; 'Jeffrey
Haas'
Subject: Re: [i2rs] I2RS Hackathon Project announcement

It would be nice to have the traceability bits as part of this using pub-sub
or at least dumped to a local file.

Joe

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 17:21:40 -0400

Joe:

I'll add the traceability information to what gets dumped in the local
syslog for the quagga code.  The merge with ODL's pub/sub code would be
nice, but the project would need someone familiar with quagga code and the
pub/sub work. 

The last sentence had too much
OLD/Port Ubuntu package to ONS and ODL, and may sure application programs/
NEW/Port I2RS package to ONS and ODL/

I've put up details on the IETF hackathon page, and the git hub repository.
I'm a novice for git hub, so we are looking for a git-hub expert to help us.

Sue 

-----Original Message-----
From: i2rs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Joe Clarke
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2016 9:37 AM
To: Susan Hares; [email-masked]; 'Charles Eckel (eckelcu)'
Cc: 'Eric Voit (evoit)'; [email-masked]; 'Alexander Clemm (alex)';

Joe

---

From: Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 17:40:56 -0400

> nice, but the project would need someone familiar with quagga code and the

This would be great!  Having each I2RS operation log the details per the 
traceability draft would make sure that we have good diagnostics from 
day 1.  I can imagine that providing such logs will help with the 
development, too.

> NEW/Port I2RS package to ONS and ODL/

Thanks.  Much clearer.

Joe

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 17:43:47 -0400

Joe: 

Traceability logs will be a great aid to debugging.   

Sue 

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Clarke [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2016 5:41 PM
To: Susan Hares; [email-masked]; 'Charles Eckel (eckelcu)'
Cc: 'Russ White'
Subject: Re: [i2rs] I2RS Hackathon Project announcement

On 6/16/16 17:21, Susan Hares wrote:
> syslog for the quagga code.  The merge with ODL's pub/sub code would 
> be nice, but the project would need someone familiar with quagga code 
> and the pub/sub work.

This would be great!  Having each I2RS operation log the details per the
traceability draft would make sure that we have good diagnostics from day 1.
I can imagine that providing such logs will help with the development, too.

> OLD/Port Ubuntu package to ONS and ODL, and may sure application 
> programs/ NEW/Port I2RS package to ONS and ODL/

Thanks.  Much clearer.

Joe

> Cc: 'Eric Voit (evoit)'; [email-masked]; 'Alexander Clemm 
> (alex)'; 'Fedyk, Don'; 'Russ White'; 'Alia Atlas'; 'Miaofuyou (Miao 
> Fuyou)'; 'Jeffrey Haas'

---

From: Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 17:45:38 -0400

> what we could do with the I2RS RIB and L3 Topology drafts.

In terms of traceability?  Any RIB updates should result in logs being 
generated with content per the traceability draft.  I'm sure some level 
of logging would be added to the development if only to aid in 
visibility of what's happening within the I2RS code.  By making sure we 
include all of the fields in the traceability draft, we can point to 
working code to help illustrate useful implementations of the draft.

Joe