Subject: [i2rs] RFC 7920 on Problem Statement for the Interface to the Routing System

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 10:44:03 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7920

        Title:      Problem Statement for the Interface 
                    to the Routing System 
        Author:     A. Atlas, Ed.,
                    T. Nadeau, Ed.,
                    D. Ward
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      
        Characters: 28441
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-i2rs-problem-statement-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7920

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7920

Traditionally, routing systems have implemented routing and signaling
(e.g., MPLS) to control traffic forwarding in a network.  Route
computation has been controlled by relatively static policies that
define link cost, route cost, or import and export routing policies.
Requirements have emerged to more dynamically manage and program
routing systems due to the advent of highly dynamic data-center
networking, on-demand WAN services, dynamic policy-driven traffic
steering and service chaining, the need for real-time security threat
responsiveness via traffic control, and a paradigm of separating
policy-based decision-making from the router itself.  These
requirements should allow controlling routing information and traffic
paths and extracting network topology information, traffic
statistics, and other network analytics from routing systems.

This document proposes meeting this need via an Interface to the
Routing System (I2RS).

This document is a product of the Interface to the Routing System Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC