Subject: [i2rs] I-D Action: draft-ietf-i2rs-ephemeral-state-13.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 13:07:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Interface to the Routing System of the IETF.

        Title           : I2RS Ephemeral State Requirements
        Authors         : Jeff Haas
                          Susan Hares
	Filename        : draft-ietf-i2rs-ephemeral-state-13.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2016-07-01

Abstract:
   This document covers requests to the NETMOD and NETCONF Working
   Groups for functionality to support the ephemeral state requirements
   to implement the I2RS architecture.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-ephemeral-state/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-i2rs-ephemeral-state-13

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-i2rs-ephemeral-state-13

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 16:47:58 +0100

Hi Sue,

Looking at requirement REQ-07, I had a further clarifying question:

3.4. Ephemeral Configuration overlapping Local Configuration

    Ephemeral-REQ-07: Ephemeral configuration state could override
    overlapping local configuration state, or vice-versa.
    Implementations MUST provide a mechanism to choose which takes
    precedence.  This mechanism MUST include local configuration (policy)
    and MAY be provided via the I2RS protocol mechanisms.

It is unclear to me whether this requirement only covers the specific 
case that a datanode for the same YANG schema leaf exists with two 
different values in both the local configuration and ephemeral 
configuration datastores, or whether it is also necessary to allow one 
datastore to override the other datastore by deleting a datanode for the 
same YANG schema leaf.

E.g. if ephemeral ds overrides local configuration ds, and the local 
config ds has leaf foo=true, and ephemeral wants to override and force 
leaf foo to be deleted altogether.

Thanks,
Rob

On 01/07/2016 21:07, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> i2rs mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i2rs
> .
>

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 16:01:47 -0400

Robert: 

Thank you for the question.  Answers below. 

From: Robert Wilton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 11:48 AM
To: Susan Hares; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [i2rs] I-D Action: draft-ietf-i2rs-ephemeral-state-13.txt

Hi Sue,

 

> It is unclear to me whether this requirement only covers the specific case
that a datanode for the same YANG schema leaf exists with two different
values in both the local configuration and ephemeral configuration
datastores, or whether it is also  necessary to allow one datastore to
override the other datastore by deleting a datanode for the same YANG schema
leaf.

This case covers the data node that exists within the same Yang leaf with
two different values in local configuration and ephemeral configuration.
The I2RS architecture document (section 6.3, and the specific examples in
section 6.3.1) specifically indicates that the ephemeral data store should
not override other data stores by deleting a data in the Local
Configuration.  

E.g. if ephemeral ds overrides local configuration ds, and the local config
ds has leaf foo=true, and ephemeral wants to override and force leaf foo to
be deleted altogether.

Ephemeral 

      Grouping route {

    }

Static configuration 

   Grouping route {   

  /* or logical equivalent to ephemeral route */

  }

If ephemeral overwrites static, then static must stay for when ephemeral
goes away.  If local static configuration overwrites ephemeral, the I2RS
Agent sends a notification to the I2RS client. 

Thanks,
Rob

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Interface to the Routing System of the
IETF.

Abstract: