Subject: [Ice] Example of data transmission without congestion control

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:57:21 +0200

In HTTP/1.1, browsers will open 6 connections to the same site.  Many
sites are now deploying TCP stacks with an initial congestion window
of 10.  If we assume an MSS of 1400, that means that some sites will
send 1400*10*6 bytes without congestion control.  Most likely, these
840 kilobits will arrive in less than a second.  840kbps is more than
we are asking for with ICE.

In practice, this can be worse because with TLS you have a round trip
over which the window is increased, though it's probably just one or
two packets more.

We also have examples of sites that use domain sharding to increase
the connection limit to as much as 30.  That does horrific things to
the network, so I don't think that we should use that as an argument.
I tend to think that 6*IW10 is also pretty dicey, but it's an example
of something that is widely deployed.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 12:01:05 +0200

I forgot to add my sources:

This is highly relevant:
https://insouciant.org/tech/network-congestion-and-web-browsing/