Subject: [Ice] Trickle ICE Section 4

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 14:09:02 -0700

Trickle ICE agents MAY include any set of candidates in an offer.
   This includes the possibility of sending an offer that contains all
   the candidates that the agent plans to use (as in half trickle mode),
   sending an offer that contains only a publically-reachable IP address
   (e.g., a host candidate at a media relay that is known to not be
   behind a firewall), or sending an offer with no candidates at all (in
   which case the offerer can receive the answerer's initial candidate
   list sooner and the answerer can begin candidate gathering more
   quickly).

   For optimal performance, it is RECOMMENDED that the candidates in an
   initial offer (if any) be host candidates only.

[BA] The first paragraph says that agents MAY send any set of candidates,

then this paragraph says it is RECOMMENDED that host candidates only be

sent in an initial offer.  This seems like a contradiction, and the

use of RECOMMENDED does not conform to RFC 2026 usage.  Moreover,

is it really true that sending host candidates is optimal?  I don't believe

that this is what the data shows (e.g. relay candidates are more likely to

yield successful tests, enabling connectivity more quickly, on average).

   This would allow
   both agents to start gathering server reflexive, relayed, and other
   non-host candidates simultaneously, and it would also enable them to
   begin connectivity checks.