Subject: [Ice] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-ice-dualstack-fairness-06: (with COMMENT)

From: "Mirja Kuehlewind" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 03:08:53 -0700

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ice-dualstack-fairness-06: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ice-dualstack-fairness/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for addressing my comments and also not talking about fairness
anymore. There are some more concrete recommendations now but some are
still vague. 

I would still like to proposed the following addition to the intro:

OLD:
"To avoid such user noticeable delays when either IPv6 or IPv4 path is
   broken or excessively slow, this specification encourages
   intermingling the different address families when connectivity checks
   are performed.  This will lead to more sustained dual-stack IPv4/IPv6
   deployment as users will no longer have an incentive to disable IPv6.
   The cost is a small penalty to the address type that otherwise would
   have been prioritized."

NEW:
"To avoid user noticeable delays when either IPv6 or IPv4 path is
   broken or excessively slow, this specification encourages
   intermingling the different address families when connectivity checks
   are performed.  This will lead to more sustained dual-stack IPv4/IPv6
   deployment as users will no longer have an incentive to disable IPv6.
   The cost is a small penalty to the address type that otherwise would
   have been prioritized. Further this document recommends to keep
   track of previous known connectivity problem and assign a lower 
   priority to those addresses."

Maybe even add:
"Tracking connectivity is a question on its own and out of scope for
   this document."

---

From: "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 09:50:36 -0500

On 2 Nov 2016, at 5:08, Mirja Kuehlewind wrote:

> Please refer to 
> https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

This seems reasonable. I might suggest the last sentence be something to 
the effect of:

"Specific mechanisms and rules for tracking connectivity issues are out 
of scope for this document"

Thanks!

Ben.

---

From: "Pal Martinsen (palmarti)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 13:33:49 +0000

> On 2 Nov 2016, at 15:50, Ben Campbell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> anymore.

No worries. Document turned out much better so thanks for that. 

>> There are some more concrete recommendations now but some are
>> still vague.
>> 
I tend to agree. My usual excuse is WG “constraints”. 
(Actual “threats" in the hallways to be nitpicked until IETF is no longer operating.. )

>>   priority to those addresses.”
>> 

Done

> This seems reasonable. I might suggest the last sentence be something to the effect of:
> 
> “Specific mechanisms and rules for tracking connectivity issues are out of scope for this document"
> 

Done.

New version (-07) is ready. But not uploaded..
Unless the chairs or ADs are in a hurry this can probably wait as this will be published together with ICEbis.

Can easily send xml and txt file if needed.

.-.
Pål-Erik

> Thanks!
> 
> Ben.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ice mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ice

---

From: "Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 15:16:29 +0100

Sounds good! Thx!

Mirja

> Am 07.11.2016 um 14:33 schrieb Pal Martinsen (palmarti) <[email-masked]>:
> 
> 
> 
>

---

From: "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 20:41:51 -0600

> Can easily send xml and txt file if needed.

The pre-meeting black out ends Monday morning. Please submit 07 at your 
convenience after that, and poke me. I should be able to approve it at 
that point.

Thanks!

Ben.