Subject: [Ice] 5245bis: nomination questions

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:59:18 +0000

Hi,

A couple of question on nomination:

Q1:        STUN client

Section 6.2.5.3.4.  (Updating the Nominated Flag) of draft-5245bis-09 says:

   "If the ICE agent was a controlling agent, and the agent had included
   a USE-CANDIDATE attribute in the Binding request, the valid pair
   generated from that check has its nominated flag value set to true.
   This flag indicates that this valid pair SHOULD be used for media,
   unless the sending agent detects that the candidate pair does not
   work."

First, I don't think this text should be here to begin with. It belongs to section 7 (where similar text exists).

Second, is there a reason for not using MUST (instead of SHOULD)?

Third, what is meant by "sending agent"? Is it the controlling agent, or any agent trying to use the pair for sending media?

Q2:        STUN server

Section 6.3.1.5.  (Updating the Nominated Flag) says:

   "If the Binding request received by the agent had the USE-CANDIDATE
   attribute set, and the agent is in the controlled role, the agent
   looks at the state of the pair computed in Section 6.3.1.4:

   o  If the state of this pair is Succeeded, it means that the check
      generated by this pair produced a successful response.  This would
      have caused the agent to construct a valid pair when that success
      response was received (see Section 6.2.5.3.2).  The agent now sets
      the nominated flag value of the valid pair to true.  This may end
      ICE processing for this media stream; see Section 7.

   o  If the state of this pair is In-Progress, and if its check
      produces a successful result, the resulting valid pair has its
      nominated flag set when the response arrives.  This may end ICE
      processing for this media stream when it arrives; see Section 7."

What if the state is Failed? The peer (controlling agent) does not know what the state is when nominating the pair, does it?

Regards,

Christer