Subject: [Ice] Protocol Action: 'Trickle ICE: Incremental Provisioning of Candidates for the Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ice-trickle-21.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 09:27:14 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Trickle ICE: Incremental Provisioning of Candidates for the
   Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-ice-trickle-21.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Interactive Connectivity Establishment
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ice-trickle/

Technical Summary

   This document describes "Trickle ICE", an extension to the
   Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) protocol that enables
   ICE agents to send and receive candidates incrementally rather than
   exchanging complete lists.  With such incremental provisioning, ICE
   agents can begin connectivity checks while they are still gathering
   candidates and considerably shorten the time necessary for ICE
   processing to complete.

Working Group Summary

   Though the number of reviews during Working Group Last Call was low, 
   the document received quite a few reviews over its lifetime. 

Document Quality

  The extension is reasonably easy to add to an existing ICE implementation. 
  Several independent implementations are deployed and are interoperable. 
  No formal reviews are needed. The shepherd has no remaining concerns.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Nils Ohlmeier. The responsible Area Director 
   is Ben Campbell.