Subject: [Ice] Protocol Action: 'Interactive Connectivity Establishment Patiently Awaiting Connectivity (ICE PAC)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ice-pac-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 07:15:40 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Interactive Connectivity Establishment Patiently Awaiting Connectivity
   (ICE PAC)'
  (draft-ietf-ice-pac-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Interactive Connectivity Establishment
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ice-pac/

Technical Summary

   During the process of establishing peer-to-peer connectivity, ICE
   agents can encounter situations where they have no candidate pairs to
   check, and, as a result, conclude that ICE processing has failed.
   However, because additional candidate pairs can be discovered during
   ICE processing, declaring failure at this point may be premature.
   This document discusses when these situations can occur and proposes
   a way to avoid premature failure.  This document updates RFC 8445 and
   [draft-ietf-ice-trickle, which is already in the RFC Editor queue].

Working Group Summary

   WG consensus appears to be solid.  The shepherd writeup also notes:

   "It appears that there is a general consensus from all participants about
   the problem and the chosen solution."

Document Quality

   Firefox has already implemented a very similar workaround in its ICE stack.
   No particular MIB, media type, or other external reviews (other than the already
   requested directorate ones) appear to be needed.

Personnel

   Nils Ohlmeier is the Document Shepherd.
   Murray Kucherawy, replacing Adam Roach, is the responsible Area Director.