Subject: [Ideas] IDEAS Side Meeting @IETF98 Slides

From: Padma Pillay-Esnault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 16:43:03 -0500

Dear IDEAS

Thank you for attending the meeting.

Please find below a pointer to the slides for today's meeting
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwYx7u1T_20RODdLaWpIdk9feHc?usp=sharing

The meeting minutes will be posted later.

Padma

---

From: Michael Menth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 08:15:05 +0200

Hi all,

I browsed through the slides. Not having heard the presentations, my
feeling is that we need a document that clearly describes the
deficiencies of DNS and argues why they cannot be overcome with the
current approach. Maybe a different deployment of DNS and tweaking does
also the job? I don't say that this is the case, but we should be very
clear why novel technology is needed because this gives the
justification and helps to set the right focus. It's also extremely
needed for communication with people outside ideas.

Best wishes,

Michael

Am 28.03.2017 um 23:43 schrieb Padma Pillay-Esnault:
> _______________________________________________
> Ideas mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ideas
> 

-- 
Prof. Dr. habil. Michael Menth
University of Tuebingen
Faculty of Science
Department of Computer Science
Chair of Communication Networks
Sand 13, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
phone: (+49)-7071/29-70505
fax: (+49)-7071/29-5220
mailto:[email-masked]
http://kn.inf.uni-tuebingen.de

---

From: Parishad Karimi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 13:07:12 -0500

Dear Michael,
Your point is very valid. We have worked on a draft addressing this (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-karimi-ideas-gnrs-00).
You can find a list of functional requirements for a global name resolution
service in our draft, along with why DNS is not suitable to meet these
requirements and a summary of how we have addressed these requirements in
our implementation of a global name resolution service for MobilityFirst.
Your comments/questions regarding this draft will be appreciated.
Parishad

-- 
Parishad Karimi
PhD Student
WINLAB, Rutgers University