Subject: [Ideas] Prep for a BOF in July - Your Input Needed on PS

From: Padma Pillay-Esnault <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 17:02:12 -0700

Hello IDEAS

The deadline for a request for a BOF for IETF99 in July is 6/02/2017 which
is a few weeks away. We would like to have input from the list for
organizing the BOF.

The problem statement version -001 advocates for a standardized, secured
common control plane with data integrity. See below pointer and for
companion docs see section 7.

IDEAS-Problem-Statement-01
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-padma-ideas-problem-statement-01>

Brief recap of main points

1. Key problems due to lack of a common control plane Infrastructure

a.  An impediment for the deployment of ID-enabled solutions as it
is inefficient to deploy several specialized mapping/resolution network
databases within the same administrative domain.

b.  Difficulty to have an overall view of the network.  If
multiple ID-enabled solutions with distinct mapping systems are
deployed, troubleshooting may be difficult as the information may
be located in different places.

c.  Complex Management due to disjoint information spread over several
mapping systems.  Operations such as merging networks are error prone and
more challenging to detect and fix.

d.  Barriers to the application of common and consistent policies. For
example, in cross-platform IoT networking, brokering services may be needed
to enforce routing/security/QoS/TE policies on behalf of partnering
structures - service provider, energy provider, content provider, etc.

e.  Risk for fragmented connectivity.  A high diversity of mapping system
variants will create silos of communications.

f.  Complex cross-MS communications.  A common resolution
system  infrastructure may facilitate cross-MS communications.  Today it is
difficult to communicate with multiple customized ID mapping systems with
distinct interfaces.

2. Security of the infrastructure
Vulnerability and how to address it

3. Security of the data stored in infrastructure
Access to the mapping system must be secured in order to address privacy
data integrity.

Your comments and suggestions welcome