Subject: Socket API Source Filters: INADDR_ANY in ip_mreq_source

From: Wilbert de Graaf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 12:27:44 -0700

I have a question about the socket api for multicast source filters as
described in draft-idmr-msf-api, with respect to the basic api
(IP_(UN)BLOCK_SOURCE and IP_(ADD|DROP)_MEMBERSHIP). If the user
specifies INADDR_ANY in the ip_mreq_source structure, there are 3 things
you could do:

1) just like IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP and IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP, assume the
default interface for this group
2) perform the operation on all interfaces this socket used to subscribe
to the specified group
3) much like 1), but instead assume the default interface towards the
specified source

What would be the best action ? I think it's 1) since a user will
typically see/use INADDR_ANY as a kind of alias of the default
interface, and would like the action to affect it's membership as
specified in it's preceding IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP.

- Wilbert

---

From: Wilbert de Graaf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 14:17:15 -0700

I'm sorry ... the way to handle this is essentially the same as with
IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP.

- Wilbert