Subject: Clarification :DVMRP-MIB RouteNextHopTable

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:37:55 +0530

Hi all,
  I have a question regarding the DVMRP-MIB as described in 
<draft-ietf-idmr-dvmrp-mib-11.txt> - October 1999.

 The DvmrpRouteNextHopTable is said to contain a "list of next hops on  outgoing interfaces 
to which IP multicast datagrams from particular sources are routed".The table is indexed by 
Source,SourceMask and InterfaceIndex. But, as I understand from the DVMRP draft the 
forwarding/routing of a multicast datagram should be based  on Source and Group 
Address (SG) and not source address alone.(RPF check is only done based on the source)
Hence, why is the group address not included in the RouteNextHopTable.

Regards,
Vijay 

Enter your default signature here
Sent by Indya Messaging Service

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 06:38:23 -0700

The group is only taken into account when forwarding.  Routing is done
only on sources.  (the ipMRouteNextHopTable is indexed as you would
expect on group and source)

 Bill